Mcdonald, the S. W. county of Missouri, bounded S. by Arkansas and W. by the Indian territory; area, 475 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,220, of whom 37 were colored. It is drained by various tributaries of the Neosho river. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 34,160 bushels of wheat, 156,712 of Indian corn, 27,099 of oats, 9,730 of Irish and 6,159 of sweet potatoes, 10,460 lbs. of tobacco, 19,314 of butter, and 28 bales of cotton. There were 1,839 horses, 3,347 cattle, 3,851 sheep, and 13,067 swine. Capital Pineville.
Mcdonough, a W. county of Illinois, watered by Crooked creek and its branches; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 26,509. The surface is mostly prairie, and the soil productive. The Chicago, Burlington, and Quin'cy, and the Toledo, Peoria, and Warsaw railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 310,017 bushels of wheat, 52,401 of rve, 1,362,490 of Indian corn, 280,717 of oats. 71,-476 of potatoes, 53,316 lbs. of wool, 413,416 of butter, and 27,404 tons of hay. There were 11,402 horses, 20,86G cattle, 14,751 sheep, and 41,091 swine; 5 manufactories of carriages, 5 of saddlery and harness, 6 flour mills, and 3 saw mills. Capital, Macomb.
Mcduffie, an E. county of Georgia, formed since the census of 1870, bounded N. by Little river, a tributary of the Savannah; area, about 350 sq. m. The surface is rolling and timbered, and the soil productive. It is traversed by the Georgia railroad. Capital, Thomson.
Mckean, a N. county of Pennsylvania, bordering on New York; area, about 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,825. It is drained by the Alleghany river and branches, and numerous creeks. The surface is hilly, the soil of slate and shale formation, and it abounds with coal, iron, and salt. The Buffalo, Bradford, and Pittsburgh railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,444 bushels of wheat, 22,620 of Indian corn, 97,984 of oats, 54,983 of potatoes, 28,016 lbs. of wool, 197,200 of butter, and 15,243 tons of hay.
There were 1,178 horses, 2,199 milch cows, 3,238 other cattle, 7,288 sheep, and 962 swine. Capital, Smithport.
See Lebanon, 111.
Mcleman, a central county of Texas, intersected by the Brazos river; area, 960 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,500, of whom 4,627 were colored. Its surface is undulating, the river and creek bottoms well timbered, oak, cedar, and elm being abundant, and the soil of the bottoms and the prairie exceedingly fertile. A branch of the Houston and Texas Central railroad terminates at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 11,711 bushels of wheat, 502,500 of Indian corn, 10,753 of oats, 21,280 of sweet potatoes, and 8,829 bales of cotton. There were 7,506 horses, 3,774 milch cows, 21,988 other cattle, 7,129 sheep, and 14,471 swine. Capital, Waco.