Meriwether, a W. county of Georgia, bounded E. by Flint river, and drained by several creeks; area, 525 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,756, of whom 7.369 were colored. The county is noted for its medicinal springs. The Warm Springs discharge 1,400 gallons a minute at a temperature of 90°. The chief productions in 1870 were 33,098 bushels of wheat, 200,830 of Indian corn, 23,776 of oats, 27,648 of sweet potatoes, 83,480 lbs. of butter, and 8,230 bales of cotton. There were 994 horses, 1,763 mules and asses, 7,058 cattle, 3,220 sheep, and 10,835 swine; 13 flour mills, and 2 lumber mills. Capital, Greenville.
Merman And Mermaid, fabulous beings dwelling in the sea, bavin- the head and body of a man or woman, and the tail of a fish. Phiny, Elian, and Pausanias give particular accounts of their being seen by sailors and others, especially in the seas around the island of laprobane (Ceylon). Julius Cassar Scaliger, in ins commentary on Aristotle (De Anima-libus), maintains their existence. Rondelet (1554) gave a picture of a singular merman seen in Poland, which was clothed by nature with the garb of a bishop. The most formidable animal of this kind is the devil-merman, monstrum marininn dcemoniforme, captured on the shore of Hlyria, seen alive at Antwerp, and described by Aldrovandus. The merrows of Irish legend are mermaids. Capt. Whitbourne minutely describes a mermaid seen by him in 1010 in the harbor of St. John's, NeAvfound-land. Monsters of similar appearance have since been occasionally described.
Merrick, an E. central county of Nebraska, bounded S. E. by the Platte river, and intersected by Prairie creek and Loup fork; area, about 65o sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 557. The Union Pacific railroad passes along the S. E. border. The soil is fertile, and timber grows along the streams. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,999 bushels of wheat, 13,024 of Indian corn, 31,579 of oats, 3,035 of barley, 5,029 of potatoes, 13,205 lbs. of butter, and 1,548 tons of hay. There were 118 horses, 298 milch cows, 444 other cattle, 478 sheep, and 308 swine. Capital, Lone Tree.
Merseburg, a town of Prussia, capital of a district in the province of Saxony, on the left bank of the Saale, 15 m. W. of Leipsic; pop. in 1871, 13,364. It is fortified, and was formerly one of the most important towns of Germany. The cathedral, a fine Gothic structure dating from the 13th century, has a richly ornamented portal, and contains some of Albert Dtirer's paintings. The town has some manufactories of linen, leather, paper, etc, and extensive breweries and distilleries. Near it Henry the Fowler in 933 achieved a great victory over the Hungarians.
Merthyr Tydfil (Or Tydvil), a parliamentary borough and market and mining town of Glamorganshire, South Wales, 21 m. N. by W. of Cardiff, with which it is connected by the Cardiff canal and the Taff Vale railway, and 140 m. W. by N. of London; pop. of the borough in 1871, 97,020; of the parish, 51,949. It is in the midst of the great mineral region of South Wales, and has attained its present importance since 1750, previous to which it was a mere village. It is irregularly and poorly built, being largely made up of workmen's houses; but of late years it has been much improved, and in the centre of the new and principal street is one of the largest and finest market places in Wales. It has a large number of places of worship. There are 50 extensive iron works, one of which employs 6,000 men, producing about 260,000 tons of iron yearly.