Michel Rene Hilliard D'Auberteuil, a French author, born in Rennes, Jan. 31, 1751, died in Santo Domingo about 1785. He practised law in that colony, and published on his return to France Considerations sur l'etat pre-sent de la colonic francaise de Saint-Domingue (2 vols., 1770), which exposed official abuses and was suppressed by the authorities. He visited the United States during the revolutionary war, returned to Santo Domingo, and is said by some to have been assassinated, by others to have been executed. His principal works are: Essais historiqucs et politiques sur les Anglo-Americains (Brussels, 1782), and Histoire de l'administration du lord North depuis 1770 jusqu'en 1782, et de la guerre de l'Amerique septentrionale (London and Paris, 1784), the accompanying financial statistics being also published separately.
Michigan City, a town of Laporte co., Indiana, on the S. shore of Lake Michigan, at the mouth of Trail creek, 140 m. N. by W. of Indianapolis, and 40 m. E. S. E. of Chicago; pop. in I860, 3,320; in 1870, 3,985. It is the principal lake port of the state, and is at the intersection of the Michigan Central, the Louisville, New Albany, and Chicago, and the Indianapolis, Peru, and Chicago railroads. Its trade is considerable. The Michigan Central railroad has here extensive repair and locomotive shops. The town is the seat of the northern state prison, and contains a national bank, a high school, and ten other public schools, a weekly newspaper, and seven churches.
Middelbirg, a town of Holland, capital of the province of Zealand, situated near the centre of the island of Walcheren, 82 m. S. W. of Amsterdam; pop. in 1871, 16,580. The town is circular, and surrounded by a ditch and a bastioned mound, the top of which forms a favorite public promenade. It has a gymnasium, an academy of design, a clinical school, a theatre, and various manufactures. The town hall was built by Charles the Bold in 1468, and is ornamented with 25 colossal statues of counts and countesses of Flanders. The town was founded in 1132, belonged for some time to the Hansa, and was taken by the Dutch from the Spaniards in 1574. The British lost 7,000 men here from the effects of the climate during the famous Walcheren expedition in 1809.
Middlebury, a town and the capital of Addison co., Vermont, on Otter creek at Middle-bury falls, and on the Rutland division of the Central Vermont railroad, 35 m. S. of Burlington, and 33 m. S. W. of Montpelier; pop. in 1870, 3,086. It is surrounded by attractive mountain scenery. Fine white and variegated marble is found here, and large quantities are quarried and exported. The town contains a cotton factory, a woollen factory, an iron foundery, a national bank, a weekly newspaper, 14 public schools, including a high school, and five churches. It is the seat of Middlebury college, under the control of the Congre-gationalists, opened in 1800. It occupies three large buildings, and in 1873-'4 had 8 professors, 52 students, a cabinet of zoology, botany, and mineralogy, and a library of 11,000 volumes.