Wahkiakum, a S. W. county of Washington territory, bounded S. by Columbia river; area, 225 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 270. The surface is rough and mountainous, and generally covered with forests. Lumber is the chief wealth. Capital, Cathlamet.
See Kooky Mountains, vol. xiv., pp. 377-'8, and Utah.
Waitzen, Or Waizen (Him. Vdcz), a town of Hungary, in the county and 20 m. N. of the city of Pesth, on the left bank of the Danube; pop. in 1870, 12,894. It has a Roman Catholic bishop, a fine cathedral after the model of St. Peter's at Rome, and other churches, an episcopal palace with Roman and mediaeval monuments, a theological seminary, a Piarist college with a gymnasium, and other schools and charitable institutions. There is a considerable trade in wine. Waitzen is one of the earliest Magyar settlements. The Turks were defeated here in 1597, and decisively in 1684 by Charles of Lorraine, who took the town. Görgey defeated the Austrians at Waitzen on April 10, 1849, and had a bloody conflict here with the Russians under Paskevitch on July 15.
Wake, a central county of North Carolina, drained by the Neuse and Little rivers; area, 1,010 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 35,617, of whom 16,184 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. Granite and plumbago are found. It is intersected by the North Carolina, the Raleigh and Gaston, and the Raleigh and Augusta railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 60,596 bushels of wheat, 379,363 of Indian corn, 80,804 of oats, 12,204 of peas and beans, 10,365 of Irish and 99,976 of sweet potatoes, 136,857 lbs. of butter, 11,371 of wool, 96,874 of tobacco, 6,933 of rice, and 7,015 bales of cotton. There were 2,108 horses, 1,596 mules and asses, 9,544 cattle, 6,758 sheep, and 23,468 swine; 5 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of cars, 5 of iron castings, 2 of machinery, 1 of paper, 11 flour mills, and 8 saw mills. Capital, Raleigh, also the capital of the state.
Wakulla, a 1ST. county of Florida, bordering on Appalachee bay, bounded W. by the Ocklockonee river, and E. by St. Mark's river; area, 504 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,506, of whom 944 were colored. The surface is generally level and the soil fertile. It id intersected by a branch of the Jacksonville, Pensacola, and Mobile railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 47,274 bushels of Indian corn, 8,726 of sweet potatoes, 2,800 lbs. of rice, 258 bales of cotton, 34 hogsheads of sugar, and 10,727 gallons of molasses. There were 184 horses, 1,617 milch cows, 2,605 other cattle, 299 sheep, and 3,800 swine. Capital, Crawfordsville.
Walcheren, the westernmost island of the Netherlands, in the province of Zealand, in lat, 51° 30' K, Ion. 3° 30'. E., between the E. and W. mouths of the Scheldt; area, about 100 sq. m.; pop. about 40,000. It is surrounded by dikes, and is very fertile. The chief towns are Middelburg and Flushing (Vliessingen), the latter fortified. The Walcheren expedition of England against Napoleon, planned in 1807 by her continental allies, reached the Dutch coast only after many delays at the end of July, 1809; it consisted of 175 armed vessels and 41,000 soldiers. Lord Chatham, its chief commander, lost his time in the reduction of Flushing, which was not effected till Aug. 16, Antwerp, which had been intended as the main point of attack, being in the mean time reenforced and protected by Bernadotte. About 7,000 men died of malaria at Middelburg, and the island was finally evacuated before the end of the year.