Middlesborough

Middlesborough, a town of Yorkshire, England, in the North riding, on the Tees, 3 1/2 m. from its mouth and 29 m. S. S. E. of New-castle-on-Tyne; pop. in 1871, 39,585. The population of the township in 1821 was only 40; in 1831, 154; in 1841, 4.500; in 1851, 7,431. The rapid increase is attributable to the rise of the coal trade, consequent on the opening of the Stockton and Darlington railway, from the collieries of south Durham. The town was regularly and substantially built by a joint-stork company, as a port for loading colliers. In 1873 it had 31 places of worship. There is also a national school, and an observatory. The number of vessels entering the port in 1871 was 1,278, tonnage 247,927; cleared 1,407, tonnage 288,.952. There are important manufactories of sail cloth and rope, an extensive pottery, iron works, and ship yards.

Midge, A Small Fly

See Diptera.

Midland

Midland, an E. central county of the southern peninsula of Michigan, intersected by Tittibawassee river and drained by its branches, the Chippewa, Salt, and Pine rivers; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,285. The surface is level and the soil fertile. The Flint and Pere Marquette railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 3J640 bushels of wheat, 6,838 of rye, 11,224 of oats, 23,408 of potatoes, 31,175 lbs. of butter, and 2,498 tons of hay. There were 257 horses, 315 milch cows, 409 other cattle, 298 sheep, and 254 swine. Capital, Midland.

Midlothian

See Edinbueghsihee.

Midwifery

See Obstetrics.

Miel, Or Meel, Jao

Miel, Or Meel, Jao, called by the Italians Giovanni della Vite, a Flemish artist, born near Antwerp in 1599, died in Turin in 1664. He was employed in decorating the Vatican, became a member of the Roman academy, and was appointed first painter to the court of Savoy. His easel pictures of fairs, carnivals, hunting parties, market scenes, gypsies, etc, are his best works. He etched several plates from his own designs. Some of his best pictures are in the imperial gallery in Vienna.

Mielar, Or Malar

A lake of Sweden, extending from Stockholm on the east to Koping on the west, a distance of about 75 m., and comprising an area of about 700 sq. m. It has numerous arms branching off in all directions, and communicates with the Baltic by the So-dertelge canal, and also by a short channel, on the shores and on an island of which stands the city of Stockholm. The principal streams falling into it are the Fyrisa, Kolbacksa, Arbogaa, and Thorshalla. On its shores are the cities of Stockholm, Upsal, Enkoping, Westeras, and other considerable towns, a great number of villages, and numerous palaces, chateaux, and villas. It contains more than 1,200 islands, of all sizes and of great beauty, upon which are 16 large villages and about 900 domains. About 50 steamers ply between the various ports. The picturesque scenery and abundant fishing give the lake great interest, and pleasure excursions upon it are frequent.