Port Jervis, a village of Orange co., New York, on the Delaware river at the mouth of the Nevisink, and on the Erie railroad and the Delaware and Hudson canal, 100 m. S. S. W. of Albany, and 60 m. N. W. of New York; pop. in 1870, 6,377; in 1875, about 8,500. It is at the intersection of the boundary lines of the states of New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. The scenery is very fine, and attracts many summer visitors. The village contains extensive railroad shops, a number of manufactories, two national banks, a savings bank, graded public schools, a daily, a tri-weekly, and two weekly newspapers, and six churches.
Port Mahon, the capital of the island of Minorca, 2 m. from the mouth of a bay of the Mediterranean, in lat. 39° 52' N. and Ion. 4° 20' E.; pop. about 12,000. The city is of modern construction, and contains some fine public buildings and several schools and charitable institutions. Many of the houses are built on ledges of rock projecting over the sea. They are usually of stone, and have a neat and attractive appearance. The bay forms one of the finest harbors in the Mediterranean. It extends about 5 m. inland, having a narrow entrance between ledges of rock. It is defended by batteries mounting heavy guns. Port Mahon is a naval station, and has salt works and establishments for preserving oysters; but there are few manufactures.
Port Said, a town of Egypt, at the junction of the Suez canal with the Mediterranean; pop. in 1871, 8,859, about half Europeans. The principal street is called La Cannebiere, and the main square the place Lesseps. It contains a Catholic and a Greek church, several schools, and a hospital. Originally an insignificant village, it has grown up since the beginning of the Suez canal in 1859. The population was at one time 14,000, but has declined since its completion in 1869. Two large jetties protect the outer harbor, which is connected by a canal with the inner harbor on Lake Menzaleh; the latter contains vast dockyards. About 1,000 ships, chiefly steamers, enter the port annually.
Portici, a town of Italy, in the province and 5 m. S. E. of the city of Naples, beautifully situated on the gulf of Naples, and on the slope of Mt. Vesuvius near the site of Herculaneum; pop. about 12,000. The railway to Salerno passes through the courtyard of the magnificent palace built toward the middle of the 18th century by Charles III. on the lava of Vesuvius, at the head of the bay, and now belonging to the municipality of Naples. Beyond the palace is the village of Re-sina, built upon the tufa and lava which covered Herculaneum. The bay of Portici is one of the finest in Italy. Ribbons are manufactured, and there are large fisheries and trade in fruit and wine.
Portneuf, a county of Quebec, Canada, on the N. bank of the St. Lawrence, just above Quebec; area, 7,256 sq. m,; pop. in 1871, 23,-216, of whom 20,296 were of French and 1,875 of Irish origin or descent. It is watered by the St. Maurice, Batiscan, and St. Anne rivers, and other streams. Capital, Cap-Sante.