Porto Alegre, a maritime city of Brazil, capital of the province of Sao Pedro or Rio Grande do Sul, on the Rio Jacuhy, near its mouth, 710 m. S. W. of Rio de Janeiro; pop. about 15,000. The streets are regularly laid out and lighted with gas. The principal public buildings are the cathedral, town hall, treasury, Brazilian and Portuguese hospitals, and a college. There is a fine theatre, and the shops are among the handsomest in the empire. The harbor is exceedingly beautiful, and three lines of steamers are owned in the town. A railway to Santa Catharina is in process of construction (1875). In the environs, which are extremely picturesque, are two orphan asylums.
Porto Ferrajo, a town of Italy, in the province of Leghorn, capital of the island of Elba, situated on a promontory of the N, coast, on a fine bay of the Mediterranean, about 12 m. S. W. of Piombino; pop. nearly 4,000. It is strongly fortified and well built, and has a good harbor. The principal export is iron. In antiquity it was called Portus Argous, after the Argonauts. In the vicinity are Roman ruins and the villa in which Napoleon I. resided. (See Elba).
Porto Maurizio, a province of N. Italy, in Liguria, bordering on Coni, Genoa, and Nice; area, 467 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 127,053. It comprises the former provinces of Oneglia and San Remo, and some territory which Italy retained from Nice, and is divided into the districts of Porto Maurizio and San Remo. Although very mountainous, it is fertile, but the sea winds injure agriculture, especially when the irrigation is inadequate, and the productions are not sufficient for home consumption. Most of the district of San Remo is covered by the Maritime Alps, and according to some it is the most salubrious of all the regions on the Mediterranean. Capital, Porto Maurizio.
See Puerto Plata.
Porto Santo, an island in the Atlantic ocean, 25 m. N. E. of Madeira, of which it is a dependency; pop. about 1,600, of whom 300 reside in the town of the same name. It is about 6 m. long and 2 1/2 m. broad, and its surface is rugged and hilly, although not more than 500 ft. high in any part. It is probably of volcanic origin, and has a black and barren appearance, being entirely destitute of trees. An inferior kind of wine, maize, barley, and vegetables, and a few fruits, are its chief productions. Live stock and poultry are plentiful. The town of Porto Santo is at the foot of a fine bay, which is protected by a battery. Its harbor is good, though exposed to southerly winds, and is frequented by vessels passing to and from the cape of Good Hope. Porto Santo was discovered by the Portuguese in 1418. It was for some time the residence of Columbus, whose wife owned property there.
See Jelly Fish.
Posey, the S. W. county of Indiana, separated from Kentucky by the Ohio river and from Illinois by the Wabash; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 19,185. It has an undulating surface, a very fertile soil, composed in part of extremely rich bottom lands, and an abundance of coal. It is intersected by the St. Louis and Southeastern railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 393,930 bushels of wheat, 931,936 of Indian corn, 80,633 of oats, 38,321 of barley, 30,041 of potatoes, 118,408 lbs. of butter, 23,748 of wool, 56,450 of tobacco, and 7,027 tons of hay. There were 5,383 horses, 1,052 mules and asses, 4,101 milch cows, 5,517 other cattle, 9,422 sheep, and 27,157 swine; 13 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 19 of cooperage, 6 of furniture, 7 of saddlery and harness, 1 of woollens, 1 distillery, 13 flour mills, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Mount Vernon.