See Black Forest.
Schweidnitz, a fortified town of Prussia, on the Weistritz, in the province and 30 m. S. W. of the city of Breslau; pop. in 1871, 16, 998. During the seven years' war Schweidnitz was repeatedly besieged by the Prussians and Aus-trians, the Prussian siege of 1762 being the most memorable. In 1807 it was taken by the French, who demolished the outer defences. - The former principality of Schweidnitz was ruled by local princes from 1290 to 1353; and it was afterward a crownland of Bohemia till 1741, when it was incorporated with Prussia.
Schweinfurt, Or Schweinfurth, a town of Bavaria, in the district of Lower Franconia, on the Main, 23 m. N. N. E. of Würzburg; pop. in 1871, 10,325, chiefly Protestants. It is enclosed by old walls, and has a Catholic and several Lutheran churches, a gymnasium, and manufactures of leather, linen, and woollen cloths. Schweinfurt was a free imperial city from 1130 to 1803.
Sciacca, a town of Sicily, on the S. W. coast, in the province and 30 m. N. W. of Girgenti; pop. about 14,000. It is on the verge of a lofty cliff, is surrounded by walls with towers, and has a cathedral with a famous echo, and numerous other churches. Pottery is manufactured. It was anciently called Thermae Selinuntae, from the hot sulphur and saline springs at the foot and on the summit of Mt. San Calogero, outside the present walls, and from its vicinity to Selinus.
Sciglio, Or Scilla (Anc. Scylloeum, or Scylla).
A Promontory Of S. Italy, in Calabria Ulte-riore, on the strait of Messina, in lat. 38° 14' 30" N., Ion. 15° 45' E. It is a bold headland, 200 ft. high, the rocks at the base being deeply scooped out by the action of the waves, and is crowned by an ancient castle. It is in the narrowest part of the strait, opposite the rocks and shoals of Charybdis, and was the terror of ancient mariners. (See Charybdis and Scylla.)
A Town On The Promontory, 9 m. N. by E. of Reggio; pop. about 6,700. It has extensive silk manufactures, an active commerce, and considerable fisheries, and its wine is celebrated. It is said to have been founded by Anaxilus, tyrant of Rhegium. It was nearly destroyed and half its inhabitants were lost by an earthquake, Feb. 5, 1783.
Scipione Breislak, an Italian geologist, of German parentage, born in Rome in 1748, died in Milan, Feb. 15, 1826. He has been called abbe from having been destined for the church, though he never became a priest. He early filled a scientific chair at Ragusa, subsequently became professor at the collegio Nazareno in Rome, made considerable researches in the volcanic regions of Italy and France, spent some time in Paris with Cuvier, and was appointed by Napoleon director of the powder and saltpetre works in Italy. His works, in which he opposed the system of the Neptunists without indiscriminately accepting that of the Vulcanists, include Topografia fisica della Campania (Florence, 1798); Instituzioni geo-logiche (Milan, 1818); Descrizione geologica della Lombardia (1822); and Sopra i terreni tra il Lago Maggiore e quello di Lugano (1838). His rich geological collections he bequeathed to the Borromeo family.