Zephaniah, one of the twelve minor prophets, a descendant of Hezekiah, supposed by many to be the king of that name. He prophesied in the reign of King Josiah, about 625 B. 0. His prophecy consists of three chapters. The first is a general threatening against all the people whom the Lord had appointed to slaughter, and in particular against Judah and the Philistines. In the second he inveighs against the Philistines, Moab, Ammon, and Gush, and foretells the fall of Nineveh. The third contains invectives and threatenings against Jerusalem, but afterward gives comfortable assurance of a return from captivity. Among the best commentaries are those by Hitzig (3d ed., 1863), Reinke (1868), and Kleinert (in Lange's Bibelwerlc, 1868).
Zerbst, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt, on an affluent of the Elbe, 22 m. S. E. of Magdeburg; pop. in 1871, 11,957. It has four Protestant churches, including the fine Gothic Nikolaikirche, restored in 1827, and a large town hall with a Bible in parchment containing pictures by Lucas Kranach. The Anhalt penitentiary was formerly a convent. Four annual horse fairs are held, and there are manufactories of gold and silver ware, silk, and other articles, including the celebrated Zerbst bitter beer. It was for many centuries the capital of Anhalt-Zerbst, which became extinct in 1793. (See Anhalt.) The beautiful palace where the princes of that house resided adjoins the town.
See Shetland Islands.
Zhitomir, a town of S. W. Russia, capital of Volhynia, 83 m. W. of Kiev; pop. in 1867, 37,640, including chiefly Russians, Poles, and Jews. It has a Catholic and six Greek churches and several synagogues, a handsome theatre, and a literary society. Its trade and manufactures are important.
See Zuyder Zee.
See Genghis Khan.
See Httngaky, vol. ix., p. 57.
Zips (Hun. Szepes), a N. county of Hungary, in the Cis-Tibiscan circle, bordering on the counties of Saros, Abauj, Torn a, Gomor, and Liptó, and on Galicia; area, 1,404 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 175,061, chiefly Slovaks and Germans. It is traversed by the highest part of the Carpathian mountains, and has large forests. The climate is inclement. The chief products are barley, oats, peas, and potatoes. There is considerable industry. Capital, Leutschau.
Zittau, a town of the kingdom of Saxony, on the left bank of the Mandau, 26 m. S. E. of Bautzen; pop. in 1871, 17,869. It has the most beautiful town hall in Saxony, with a library of 30,000 volumes, and manufactories of cotton and woollen cloths and pianos, extensive bleaching grounds, iron works, and potteries. More than 1,000 persons are employed in the adjacent coal mines.
See Eecilla t Zttniga.
Znaym, a city of Moravia, capital of a circle of the same name, and formerly of the province, 47 m. N. N. W. of Vienna; pop. in 1870, 10,600. It contains a gymnasium and a military academy of engineers. The church of St. Nicholas, built in the 14th century, and the town hall are among the most important buildings. The town has considerable trade, chiefly in produce. Marmont here defeated the rear guard of the archduke Charles, retreating from Wagram, July 11, 1809, and the armistice followed by the treaty of Schonbrunn was concluded here on July 12.