Chambord, a village of France, in the department of Loir-et-Cher, 9 m. E. of Blois; pop. in 18G6, 332. It is noted for its chateau, surrounded by a beautiful park, 21 m. in circumference. The counts of Blois had here a hunting lodge and pleasure house, built in 1090. It was added to the possessions of the crown by Louis XII., and torn down by Francis I. to make way for the present magnificent structure, which was commenced after designs by Primaticcio, and continued in subsequent reigns; but the original plans were never carried out. Diana of Poitiers resided here, and the letters H. and D, entwined with a crescent still fill the compartments of the vaulted ceilings. Charles IX., Louis XIII., and Louis XIV. occasionally held their court here; and Moliere gave here the first representation of his Bourgeois gentilliomme. Chambord afterward became the residence for some years of Stanislas Leszczynski, ex-king of Poland. In 1745 Louis XV. bestowed it upon Marshal Saxe, who restored much of its former brilliancy. After his death, and that of his nephew the count de Frise, the chateau reverted to the crown; it was bestowed upon the Polignac family by Louis XVI. in 1777, plundered by the mob in 1792, and sold as national property.

In 1809 Napoleon gave it to Berthier, whose widow sold it in 1821 for nearly 1,800,000 francs to the legitimists, who presented it to the infant duke of Bordeaux, hence called count de Chambord.

Castle of Chambord.

Castle of Chambord.

Chambord #1

Chambord. I. Henri Charles Ferdinand Marie Diendonne, count de, duke of Bordeaux, the representative of the elder branch of the French Bourbon dynasty, called by his partisans Henry V. of France, born in Paris, Sept. 29, 1820, seven months after the assassination of his father, Prince Charles Ferdinand d'Artois, duke de Berry. (See Berry, Duchess of.) The title of duke of Bordeaux was given him in compliment to the legitimist zeal of that city, and that of count de Chambord after the estate of that name, presented to him by his partisans. He had among his tutors the baron Damas and Gen. d'Hautpoul; and after the revolution of July, 1830, during which his grandfather Charles X. and his uncle the duke d'Angou-leme in vain resigned their rights in his favor, he lived in exile successively in Scotland, Austria, and for a short time in Italy, till 1845, when he established himself in London, where the large fortune which had been bequeathed to him by the duke de Blacas enabled him to live in fine style.

In 1851, after the death of the duchess d'Angouleine, he inherited the domain of Frohsdorf, near Vienna, where he has since generally resided, having sold his palace in Venice in 1866. In August, 1850, he attended a gathering of legitimists at 'Wiesbaden, and in February, 1872, at Antwerp. He clings to the traditional Bourbon theory of the divine right of kings and of devotion to the see of Rome, from time to time issues manifestoes in this sense to the French nation, and firmly rejects all overtures aiming at a reconciliation with the house of Orleans at the expense of his principles; but has always refrained from violent assertions of his claims to the throne. In August, 1870, he gave 10,000 francs and the use of his chateau for the relief of wounded French soldiers and sailors, and in the summer of 1871 for the first time returned to France, but voluntarily left the country after a short stay at Chambord. II. Marie Therese Beatrice Gaetanc, countess de, archduchess of Austria, wife of the preceding, born July 14, 1817. She is the eldest daughter of Francis IV., duke of Modena, and of the princess Maria Beatrice of Sardinia, great-granddaughter of Maria Theresa, and grand-niece of Marie Antoinette. Her sister married Don Juan de Borbon, and became the mother of Don Carlos, duke of Madrid. On Nov. 16, 1846, she married at Brack, Styria, the count de Chambord. She is a highly accomplished princess, and takes much interest in the improvement of the working classes; and during the German war she attended to the sick and wounded French soldiers in Belgium and Switzerland.