Crawford, the name of 11 counties in the United States. I. A N. W. county of Pennsylvania, bordering on Ohio, intersected by a number of creeks, including French creek or Venango river; area, 975 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 63,832. It has an undulating surface, and a soil of good quality, but better adapted to grazing than to tillage. Iron ore and lime marl are found in considerable quantities. Lumber is abundant, and forms one of the chief articles of export. Grain, potatoes, hay, and dairy produce are the other staples. It is traversed by the Beaver and Erie canal, the Oil Creek and Alleghany River railroad, the Atlantic and Great Western, the Franklin branch, and the Erie and Pittsburgh railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 257,249 bushels of wheat, 26,537 of rye, 571,538 of Indian corn, 924,392 of oats, 73,134 of buckwheat, 293,750 of potatoes, 102,181 tons of hay, 196,039 lbs. of cheese, 2,046,252 of butter, 230,664 of wool, 99,562 of maple sugar, and 30,480 of hops. There were 13,911 horses, 24,247 milch cows, 24,640 other cattle, 59,954 sheep, and 14,685 swine; 8 establishments for the rectification of petroleum, 13 manufactories of machinery, 41 of carriages and wagons, 8 of cheese, 56 of cooperage, 2 of explosive fireworks, 17 of furniture, 5 of iron castings, 5 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 23 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 4 of woollen goods, 12 flour mills, 21 tanneries, 19 currying establishments, 8 breweries, 9 planing and 95 saw mills, 5 manufactories of agricultural implements, 7 of bricks, 20 of saddlery and harness, and 9 of cigars.
Capital, Meadville. II. A S. W. central county of Georgia, bounded N. E. by Echeconnee creek, S. W. by Flint river, and drained by several creeks; area, 289 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,557, of whom 4,273 were colored. The surface is uneven; the N. part is moderately fertile, producing cotton, grain, and sweet potatoes; the S. sterile, and covered with pine forests. The Southwestern railroad passes through its S. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,406 bushels of wheat, 116,326 of Indian corn, 3,558 of oats, 15,896 of sweet potatoes, and 4,720 bales of cotton. There were 403 horses, 973 mules and asses, 1,257 milch cows, 2,044 other cattle, and 7,236 swine. Capital, Knoxville. III. A W. county of Arkansas, bordering on the Indian territory, and bounded S. by the Arkansas river, which is navigable by steamboats; area, 585 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,957, of whom 988 were colored. The surface is mountainous. Boston mountain, 2,000 ft. high, is in the county. Coal and other minerals are found. The chief productions in 1870 were 9,746 bushels of wheat, 237,702 of Indian corn, 13,448 of Irish and 12,638 of sweet potatoes, 2,366 bales of cotton, 61,863 lbs. of butter, and 6,241 gallons of molasses. There were 2,617 horses, 1,736. milch cows, 3,989 other cattle, 2,724 sheep, and 16,586 swine.
Capital, Van Buren. IV. A N. county of Ohio; area, 412 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,556.
The surface is level, and the soil fertile. The S. portion is principally devoted to grazing, the N. to the production of wheat. • The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago railroad traverses it, and the Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis railroad intersects the S. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 484,516 bushels of wheat, 424,383 of Indian corn, 461,905 of oats, 78,498 of potatoes, 35,097 tons of hay, 583,528 lbs. of butter, and 310,505 of wool. There were 7,170 horses, 7,001 milch cows, 8,605 other cattle, 73,771 sheep, and 22,927 swine; 4 manufactories of agricultural implements, 6 of machinery, 27 saw mills, 4 flour mills, 8 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 15 of furniture, 2 of hubs, etc, 3 of iron castings, 2 of marble works, 9 of saddlery and harness, 4 of cigars, 1 of woollen goods, 6 planing mills, 5 breweries, 8 tanneries, and 6 currying establishments. Capital, Bucyrus. V. A S. county of Indiana, bordering on Kentucky, bounded E. by the Great Blue, S. by the Ohio river, and drained by Little Blue river; area, 280 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,851. The valleys of the streams are productive, but nearly all the rest of the land is rugged and sterile. Coal, iron, and limestone are the most valuable minerals.
Lumber, flour, pork, and beef are exported in considerable quantities. The chief productions in 1870 were 64,437 bushels of wheat, 234,458 of Indian corn, 63,699 of oats, 29,631 of potatoes, 3,744 ton3 of hay, 82,419 lbs. of butter, 27,736 of wool, and 56,524 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 2,778 horses, 2,307 milch cows, 3,565 other cattle, 10,223 sheep, and 13,374 swine. Capital, Leavenworth. VI. A S. E. county of Illinois; area, 420 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,889. It is separated from Indiana on the east by the Wabash river, and drained by Em-barras river and its N. fork, the former passing through the S. W. part and the latter flowing along the W. boundary. The surface is occupied in great part by fertile prairies. The chief productions in 1870 were 212,984 bushels of wheat, 581,964 of Indian corn, 136,-255 of oats, 26,841 of potatoes, 11,697 tons of hay, 164,193 lbs. of butter, 72,931 of wool, 27,530 of tobacco, and 30,667 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 6,274 horses, 3,179 milch cows, 4,521 other cattle, 23,763 sheep, and 19,819 swine; 7 saw mills, and 1 woollen factory. Capital, Robinson. VII. A N. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, watered by the Au Sable river and its branches, and by the Manistee; area, 620 sq. m. The census of 1870 furnishes no statistics.
VIII. A S. W. county of Wisconsin, separated from Iowa by the Mississippi river, bounded S. E. by the Wisconsin, and intersected by the Kickapoo; area, 612 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,075. The surface is hilly, and occupied partly by prairies. The Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad, Prairie du Chien division, traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 191,669 bushels of wheat, 261,879 of Indian corn, 160,939 of oats, 79,649 of potatoes, 12,264 tons of hay, and 226,277 lbs. of butter. There were 3,149 horses, 3,779 milch cows, 6,346 other cattle, 7,921 sheep, and 9,668 swine; 2 breweries, 5 saw mills, 1 pork-packing establishment, 2 manufactories of agricultural implements, 4 of carriages and wagons, 2 of saddlery and harness, and 1 of soap and candles. Capital, Prairie du Chien. IX. A W. county of Iowa, intersected by Boyer and Soldier rivers, and drained by affluents of the West Nishnabatona; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,530. The Chicago and Northwestern railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 78,538 bushels of wheat, 131,635 of Indian corn, 35,431 of oats, 13,236 of potatoes, 6,468 tons of hay, and 50,138 lbs. of butter. There were 921 horses, 952 milch cows, 1,803 other cattle, 2,629 sheep, and 1,083 swine.
Capital, Denison. X. A S. E. county of Missouri, intersected by Mara-mec river, and drained by two of its branches; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,982, of whom 86 were colored. The surface is much diversified, and in many parts hilly. It is occupied by tolerably fertile prairies and tracts of excellent timber, but the county is less remarkable for its agricultural productions than for its mineral wealth. The hills contain very rich mines of copper and iron, the latter being extensively worked. Lead is also found in various localities, and stone is obtained in the vicinity of the iron district. The Atlantic and Pacific railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 64,530 bushels of wheat, 242,906 of Indian corn, 66,882 of oats, and 16,265 of potatoes. There were 2,573 horses, 2,474 milch cows, 4,837 other cattle, 9,380 sheep, and 18,917 swine. Capital, Steel-ville. XI. A S. E. county of Kansas, bordering on Missouri, watered by Spring river and other affluents of the Neosho; area, 504 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,160. The Missouri River, Fort Scott, and Gulf, and the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroads pass through it.
The chief productions in 1870 were 34,382 bushels of wheat, 285,500 of Indian corn, 56,785 of oats, 33,368 of potatoes, 14,745 tons of hay, and 130,319 lbs. of butter. There were 3,304 horses, 3,014 milch cows, 8,952 other cattle, 2,605 sheep, and 3,245 swine. Capital, Girard.