Huntington, a N. E. county of Indiana, drained by Wabash and Salamonie rivers; area, 384 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 19,036. The surface is slightly uneven and the soil fertile. The Wabash and Erie canal, and the Toledo, Wabash, and Western railroad, pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 367,521 bushels of wheat, 288,840 of Indian corn, 81,425 of oats, 42,655 of potatoes, 66,257 lbs. of wool, 320,098 of butter, and 12,079 tons of hay. There were 5,902 horses, 5,094 milch cows, 5,582 other cattle, 31,058 sheep, and 20,-565 swine; 7 manufactories of carriages, 1 of baskets, 1 of boots and shoes, 4 of furniture, 3 of wagon material, 8 of lime, 5 of saddlery and harness, 2 of cigars, 3 of woollen goods, 3 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, 6 flour mills, and 25 saw mills. Capital, Huntington.
I. Daniel, an American painter, born in New York, Oct. 14, 1816. While pursuing his studies at Hamilton college, he made the acquaintance of Charles L. Elliott, the portrait painter, from whom he received a decided bias for art. In 1853 he entered the studio of S. F. B. Morse, then president of the national academy of design, and soon after produced " The Bar-Room Politician," "A Toper Asleep," etc, besides some landscapes and portraits. In 1836 he spent several months in the vicinity of the Hudson highlands, and executed views near Verplanck's, the Dunderberg mountain, and Rondout creek at twilight and sunset. In 1839 he went to Europe, and in Florence painted "The Sibyl" and "The Florentine Girl." Removing to Rome soon after, he painted "The Shepherd Boy of the Cam-pagna" and "Early Christian Prisoners." Upon his return to New York he was employed for a time almost exclusively upon portraits, his only historical pieces of importance being "Mercy's Dream" and "Christiana and her Children," from "Pilgrim's Progress." For two years he was compelled by an inflammation of the eyes to relinquish his labors, and in 1844 went again to Rome, where he passed the succeeding winter, and whence he sent back to America " The Roman Penitents," "Italy," "The Sacred Lesson," " The Communion of the Sick," and some landscapes.
After his return to New York in 1846 he again devoted himself chiefly to portraits. From 1862 to 1869 he was president of the national academy of design. Among his works are " Lady Jane Grey and Feckenham in the Tower," " Henry VIII. and Queen Catharine Parr," " The Marys at the Sepulchre," " Queen Mary signing the Death Warrant of Lady Jane Grey," and another picture of " Mercy's Dream," all of which have been made familiar by engravings. II. Jedidiah Vincent, an American clergyman, brother of the preceding, born in New York, Jan. 20, 1815, died in Pau, France, May 10, 1862. He studied medicine and practised for several years, but subsequently took orders in the Episcopal church, officiating for a time as rector in Middlebury, Vt. He afterward went to Europe, where in 1849 he became a Roman Catholic. Returning to America, he edited the " Metropolitan Magazine " in Baltimore, and subsequently the "Leader" in St. Louis. He afterward resided in New York, and finally again went to Europe. He published a volume of "Poems " (1843), and the novels "Lady Alice, or the New Una" (1849), "Alban" (1850), "The Forest" (1852), " Blonde and Brunette " (1859), and "Rosemary" (1860).