Orange, or Gariep (Gareep'), the largest river of South Africa, rises in the Kathlamba Mountains, in the east of Basutoland, and winds 1000 miles W. by N. to the Atlantic. It separates Cape Colony, on the south, from the Orange Free State, Griqualand West, Bechuanaland, and German Namaland. Its principal tributaries are the Caledon and the Vaal. Its volume varies greatly between the dry season, when it is not navigable, and the rainy season, when it overflows its banks. Its mouth is obstructed by a bar.
Orange (Fr. pron. Orongzh'), a town in the French dep. of Vaucluse, on the Aigue's left bank, 18 miles by rail N. of Avignon. The Arausio of the Romans, which contained 40,000 inhabitants, it has splendid Roman remains - a triumphal arch, 72 feet high, and a theatre whose facade was 340 feet long by 118 high. There are a Romanesque cathedral and statues of two of the counts. Pop. 9804. Orange was the capital of a small independent principality, which was ruled by its own sovereigns from the 11th century to 1531, when it passed to the Counts of Nassau, and so was associated with the fortunes of Holland; becoming finally French in 1713.
Orange, a city of New Jersey, 12 miles W. of New York by rail, and 3 miles by tram-car from Newark. The slope of Orange Mountain is laid out in beautiful parks, with villas. There are manufactures of hats, carriages, etc. Pop. 25,000.