William Swan Plumer, an American clergyman, born in Griersburg (now Darlington), Beaver co., Pa., July 25, 1802. He graduated at Washington college, Virginia, in 1825, studied theology at Princeton, N. J., was licensed to preach in 1826, and in 1827 organized the Presbyterian church in Danville, Ya. He soon removed to Warrenton, N. 0., where also he organized a church, and afterward preached in Raleigh, Washington, and New Berne, N. 0., and in Prince Edward and Charlotte counties, Va. In 1834 he became pastor in Richmond, and in 1847 in Baltimore. In 1837 he founded the "Watchman of the South," a weekly religious paper, which he conducted for eight years. In 1854 he became professor of didactic and pastoral theology in the western theological seminary at Allegheny City, Pa. In 1862 he removed to Philadelphia. In 1865 he became pastor of a Presbyterian church in Potts-ville, Pa., and in 1866 professor of didactic and polemic theology in the theological seminary at Columbia, S. C, in which office he still continues (1875). In 1838 he received the degree of D. D. from Princeton, Washington, and Lafayette colleges, and in 1857 the degree of LL. D. from the university of Mississippi. His publications include "The Grace of Christ" (12mo, 1853); "Rome against the Bible "(18mo, 1854); "The Church and her Enemies" (18mo, 1856); "The Law of God" (12mo, 1864); "Vital Godliness" (12mo, 1865); " Jehovah Jireh" (12mo, 1866); "Studies in the Book of Psalms " (8vo, 1867); " The Rock of our Salvation " (12mo, 1867); " Words of Truth and Love" (18mo, 1868); "Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans " (8vo, 1870); "Commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews" (8vo, 1872); and "Hints and Helps in Pastoral Theology " (12mo, 1873).