Cuddalore, a town of Hindostan, in the Carnatic, on the Coromandel coast, and on the right bank of the estuary of the Punnair, 100 m. S. S. W. of Madras and 17 m. S. S. W. of Pondicherry; pop. about 30,000. The town, one of the largest in S..India, is laid out in broad regular streets, and has many good houses; and there is considerable trade, principally in the cotton cloths produced in the district. The site of the town is low, being not more than five feet above the sea, but is not unhealthy. It is a station for soldiers who have been invalided. Cuddalore has frequently changed masters. It was acquired by the East India company in 1681, taken by the French in 1758, and retaken by Sir Eyre Coote in 1760. In 1782 the French, with the assistance of Hyder Ali, recaptured it, strengthened the works, and placed a strong garrison in them. The British under Gen. Stuart attacked it the following year, but were repulsed. In 1795 it was restored to the East India company.
See Cufic Inscriptions.
Culdees, Or Keldns, a religious fraternity who at one time were spread over the greater part of Great Britain and Ireland. The name appears to be of Celtic origin, a corruption of Ceile De, which in the Irish language signifies an "attendant of God." Others derive it from the Lat. cultor Dei, "worshipper of God." Their history has been raised to importance by certain modern writers, who claim that in the 2d or 3d century they were the priests of a Scottish Christian church which had no bishops, and resembled the Presbyterian organization. But the most recent investigations render it probable that they differed in no material point from the other clergy of Great Britain. Dr. Reeves, in the proceedings of the royal Irish academy for 1860, has given the best account of the Irish Culdees, and Mr. Grub, in his "Ecclesiastical History of Scotland" (Aberdeen, 1861), of the Scottish. The order became extinct early in the 17th century.
Culiacan, a city of Mexico, capital of the state of Sinaloa, on the left bank of a river of the same name, in lat. 25° 10' N., lon. 107° 59' W., 160 m. W. N. W. of Durango; pop. 10,000. It is surrounded by a well watered and productive country; and there are rich gold and silver mines in the vicinity, which are worked with considerable success. The city has regular streets and a fine public square surrounded by a colonnade. Among its principal buildings are a large cathedral, decorated with good paintings, a mint erected at a cost of $350,000, and a splendid club house. It occupies the site of the Aztec city of Huci-colhuacan, famous in Mexican history. - The river Ouliacan, about 200 m. long, flows cir-cuitously to the gulf of California, in lat. 24° 50' N. At its mouth is the little town of Altata, the port of Culiacan. Nicaragua wood is exported.
Cullera, a town of Spain, in the province and 25 m. S. S. E. of the city of Valencia, on the Jucar, near its mouth in the Mediterranean; pop. about 10,000. It is surrounded by walls flanked by towers, contains barracks and several churches, and has an extensive coasting trade with France, the Balearic islands, and Spanish ports. The principal products are grain, rice, wine, muscatel raisins, and oil.