Holothurians ,.See Sea Cucumber.
Holston , a river formed by the junction at Kingsport, Tenn., of the N. and S. forks, which rise in the Alleghany mountain in S. W. Virginia. It flows S. W., passing by Knox-ville, and, after a course of about 200 m., joins the Clinch, near Kingston, Roane co., to form the Tennessee. It is navigated by steamboats at all seasons to Knoxville, and during the winter to Kingsport. The principal tributaries are the French Broad and the Little Tennessee, which rise in the Blue Ridge mountains in western North Carolina. The former joins the main stream near Knoxville, and is navigable to Dandridge, Jefferson co.
Holt ,.I. A N. county of Nebraska, separated from Dakota by the Niobrara river, and watered by the Elkhorn; area, about 2,100 sq. m. It is not included in the census of 1870. II. A N. W. county of Missouri, separated from Kansas and Nebraska on the S., S. W., and W. by the Missouri river, and bounded E. by the Nodaway; area, 470 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,652, of whom 184 were colored. It has an undulating surface, with some bluffs on the Missouri river, and a fertile soil. The Kansas City, St. Joseph, and Council Bluffs railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 71,421 bushels of wheat, 1,321,620 of Indian corn, 91,994 of oats, 61,402 of potatoes, and 155,100 lbs. of butter. There were 3,551 horses, 3,924 milch cows, 6,738 other cattle, 7,768 sheep, and 25,220 swine; 6 flour mills, 15 saw mills, and 4 manufactories of saddlery and harness. Capital, Oregon.
Holyrood Palace ,.See Edinburgh.
Holywell , a municipal and parliamentary borough and market town of Flintshire, N. Wales, near the left bank of the estuary of the Dee, and on the Chester and Holyhead railway, 15 m. N. W. of Chester; pop. in 1871, 5,835. It takes its name from the holy well of St. Winifred, formerly celebrated for its virtue in the cure of diseases. The well discharges 21 tons of water per minute, and now serves as the motive power of most of the machinery in the place. Margaret, countess of Richmond, mother of Henry VII., erected a handsome Gothic building over the spring, the upper part of which is now used as a school house. In the vicinity are collieries, and valuable mines of lead, copper, and zinc. The chief manufactures are copper wire, bolts, nails, sheathing, white and red lead, shot, flour, and flannels. Limestone is largely exported.
Homocercal ,.See Heterocercal.
Homoptera ,.See Hemiptera.
Honesdale , a borough and the capital of Wayne co., Pennsylvania, in the N. E. part of the state, at the confluence of the Lackawaxen and Dyberry creeks, 113 m. N. of Philadelphia, and 124 m. N. E. of Harrisburg; pop. in 1870, 2,654. It is situated on a branch of the Erie railway, 135 m. from New York, and the Delaware and Hudson canal connects it with the Hudson river at Kingston, N. Y. It is an active business place, the greater part of the coal mined by the Delaware and Hudson canal company being brought here from the Lackawanna coal fields, 16 m. distant, and transferred to canal boats and cars. It is neatly built, and has water and gas works, founderies, boot and shoe manufactories, tanneries, glass works, flouring mills, a national bank, a savings bank, and two weekly newspapers.