Kaisariyeh, a city of Asia Minor, capital of a district of the same name, in the vilayet and 160 m. S. E. of the city of Angora; pop. variously estimated from 25,000 to 50,000. It is situated in a recess of the Arjish mountains, at an elevation of 3,200 ft. above the sea. An extensive plain, watered by the river Kara-su, and fertile in cotton, fruits, and wine, stretches N. from the hills. The town is walled, and the houses are mostly of stone, but the streets are narrow and dirty. It is the emporium of an extensive export trade. The chief industry is the manufacture of cotton yarn, cloth, and yellow morocco leather. - This place, anciently called Mazaca, was the capital of Cappado-cia until that country was formed into a Roman province, when the name of the city was changed to Caesarea (whence its modern name), under which latter appellation it gave title to a Christian bishop from the early times of the church. (See Caesarea, II.)
Kaiserslautern, a town of Bavaria, in the Palatinate, on the Lauter, 32 m. W. N. W. of Spire; pop. in 1871,17,867. It has a Catholic and two Protestant churches, a Latin school, a Protestant normal school, several other educational institutions, and a richly endowed hospital. There are manufactories of tobacco, cotton, and hosiery, and several iron works. On Nov. 30, 1793, the duke of Brunswick gained here a victory over Hoche. The French also suffered defeats here in May and September, 1794.
Kaiserswerth, a town of Prussia, in the province of the Rhine, on the river Rhine, 6 m. N. N. W. of Dusseldorf; pop. in 1871, 2,223. It is noted for the house of evangelical deaconesses founded by Pastor Fliedner, which has now branches in all countries of the Protestant world. (See Deaconess.)
Kalafat, a walled town of Roumania, in Little Wallachia, on the left bank of the Danube opposite Widin, 155 m. W. S. W. of Bucharest; pop. about 2,500. It has a town hall, a custom house, a quarantine, and cavalry barracks. The town is built on a plain of the same name, skirted by hills. Its fortifications describe an arc of a circle around the town, the Danube forming the chord. It is important in a strategic point of view, and has figured more than once in Turkish military annals. Here the Russians in 1829 lost 10,000 men in their operations against the Turks. Severe engagements took place in its vicinity in the early part of January, 1854; and an assault of the Russians was repulsed by the Turks on April 19.
Kalamazoo River, a river of Michigan, which rises in Hillsdale co., in the S. part of the state, and after a circuitous course of nearly 200 m. flows into Lake Michigan, in Allegan co., 98 m. in a direct line from its source. Its general direction is W. N. W. It is 300 or 400 ft. wide at its mouth, and navigable at all seasons by vessels of 50 tons to Allegan, 38 m. from the lake. It drains a rich level country, affording extensive water power.