Justns Properly Jobst Burgi (Byrgius), a Swiss inventor, born at Lichtensteig, Feb. 28, 1552, died at Cassel in 1633. In 1579 he was invited to Cassel, and attached to the observatory there. He constructed a celestial globe, which attracted the attention of Rudolph II., who invited him to enter his service, which he did in 1604, and after the emperor's death in 1612 remained in Vienna till 1632. He drew up tables similar to those afterward published by Napier in his " Canon " of logarithms, and invented a sector and pendulum clock.
See Argentine Republic, vol. i., pp. 694-'6.
Justus Hatch Vinton, an American missionary, born in Willington, Conn., in 1806, died at Kemendine, Burmah, March 31, 1858. He was educated at the Hamilton literary and theological institution (now Madison university), and in September, 1832, was appointed a missionary to Burmah by the American Baptist board, but did not sail till July, 1834. He was designated to labor among the Karens, and was first stationed at Chummerah, 90 m. above Maulmain, and afterward at Newville. In 1851 he took charge of the Karen theological seminary at Maulmain, where he remained till March, 1852, when he removed to Kemendine, a suburb of Rangoon, still devoting his labors to the Karens.
Justus Jonas, a German theologian, born in Nordhausen in 1493, died in Eisfeld in 1555. He studied law and afterward theology at Erfurt, and was appointed in 1521 professor at Wittenberg, where he embraced with zeal the doctrines of the reformation, becoming intimate with Luther and accompanying him to the diet at Worms. He was present at the conference in Marburg and at the imperial diet of Augsburg. In 1541 he was appointed preacher at Halle, from which place when banished he accompanied Luther on his last journey to Eisleben. At the time of his death he was pastor and superintendent at Eisfeld. He assisted Luther in translating the Bible. The work by which he is best known is the Discus-sio pro Conjugio Sacerdotali (1523).
Kagoshima, Or Kagosima, a town of Japan, in the S. part of the island of Kiushiu, renowned for its landlocked harbor, 40 m. long and from 10 to 12 m. wide at the upper part, and about 5 m. at the entrance. Kagoshima is the capital of the feudal prince Satsuma, and it was bombarded in 1863 by the English, to whom reparation had been denied for the murder of Mr. Richardson, a British subject. Three of Satsuma's steamers were sunk during the engagement, and much damage was inflicted upon the town before the prince submitted to pay an indemnity of £25,000, and to execute the murderers. The fortifications have since been repaired, and the manufactory of arms and munitions has been restored.
Kahlenberg, a mountain of Austria, on the Danube, between Vienna and Klosterneuburg, consisting of the Kahlenberg proper, or Josephs-berg, and the Leopoldsberg, and rising to a height of about 1,000 ft. above the river. It is also known as the Wiener Wald, and is the most N. E. continuation of the Noric Alps. On the Leopoldsberg is a ruined castle, with a church where Charles of Lorraine, Sobieski, and other warriors prayed for success in the battle against the Turks, in September, 1683. At the foot of the same mountain, 6 m. above Vienna, is the Kahlenberger Dorfel, associated with the humorous priest Wigand (der Pfaffe com Kohlenberg), who is said to have lived here in the first part of the 14th century.