Naphtali Daggett, an American clergyman, born at Attleborough, Mass., Sept. 8, 1727, died in New Haven, Conn., Nov. 25, 1780. He graduated at Yale college in 1748; in 1751 was ordained pastor of a Presbyterian church in Smithtown, Long Island; and in 1755 was chosen professor of divinity in Yale college, which office he held till his death. On the resignation of President Clap, in 1766, he was chosen president pro tempore, and in this capacity officiated for more than a year. In July, 1779, when the British attacked New Haven, Dr. Daggett took part in the resistance to them, and being taken prisoner, was treated with so much severity that he never recovered from the effects of it. He published several sermons, and in 1780 an account of the famous "dark day" in New England.
Napieryille, a S. W. county of Quebec, Canada; area, 152 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 11,088, of whom 10,815 were of French origin. It is traversed by a division of the Grand Trunk railway. Capital, Napierville.
See Sicilies, the Two.
A Province Of The Kingdom Of Italy, bordering on Caserta, Salerno, and the Tyrrhenian sea; area, 412 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 907,752. It is the most beautiful and most fertile of all the Italian provinces, producing olives and wines of the best quality. The eastern part is mountainous, being traversed by ramifications of the Apennines. The principal rivers are the Sarno and Sebeto. There are many lakes, none of them large; the most important are Lakes Fusaro, Averno, and Lu-crino (the Acherusia, Avernus, and Lucrinus of ancient Campania). It is divided into the districts of Casoria, Castellamare di Sta-bia, Naples, and Pozzuoli.
See Ecua-doe, vol. vi., p. 394.
Napoleon-Vendee, a town of France, capital of the department of Vendee, on the river Yon, 231 m. S. W. of Paris; pop. (including the suburb of Roche-sur-Yon) about 9,000. It consists of several streets crossing each other at right angles, nearly all ending in the place Royale, a spacious square, bordered by ranges of pine trees, and surrounded by public monuments and fine mansions. It is situated upon an open heath, and has few manufactures and little trade. The town occupies the site of a large feudal castle built prior to the crusade, which was destroyed by the republicans in 1793. In 1805 Napoleon selected the place as the site for the capital of the department, and devoted 3,000,000 francs to the erection of public edifices, giving to the new town the name which it nows bears. Under the restoration it was called Bourbon-Vendée.
Narcisse Achille De Salvandy, count, a French author, born at Condom, June 11, 1795, died in Normandy, Dec. 15, 1856. He enlisted in the imperial guard in 1813, was wounded at the battle of Brienne, and rose to the rank of adjutant major. In 1819-21 he was master of requests. In 1824 he became connected with the Journal des Débats, and assisted Chateaubriand in combating the ultra royalists. In 1835 he was admitted to the academy. He was minister of public instruction in 1837-'9, and again in 1845. In 1843 he was made count and ambassador to Turin. After the coup d'état of Dec. 2, 1851, he withdrew to private life. He published Alonzo, ou l'Espagne (4 vols., Paris, 1823-'4); Islaor, ou le Barde Chrétien (1824); and Histoire de Pologne avant et sous le roi Jean Sobieski (3 vols., 1827-'9).