Pirna, a town of Saxony, on the left bank of the Elbe, 10 m. S. E. of Dresden; pop. in 1871, 8,905. It has a celebrated lunatic asylum. The town was of importance during the middle ages, but its commerce and industry declined under successive wars until a recent period, when they revived, and an active trade is now carried on in many articles, especially in the so-called Pirna sandstone.
Piscataqua, a river flowing between New Hampshire and Maine. It rises in East pond, between the towns of Wakefield, N. H., and Newfield, Me.; thence to Berwick Lower falls it is called Salmon Falls river, after which until its junction with the Cocheco it is sometimes called the Newichawannoc; thence to the ocean, which it enters about 3 m. below Portsmouth, it has the name Piscataqua. The harbor, from Portsmouth to the sea, owing to the strong tides, is never obstructed by ice, and is one of the best in the United States.
See Fish Cultuee.
Pistole, the name formerly applied in several countries of Europe to gold coins of various values. It was equivalent in Spain to a quarter doubloon ($3 90). In Germany it was sometimes applied to coins bearing the name of the state or sovereign who coined them, and worth about $3 70. The old Italian pistole or doppia was worth from $3 09 to $7 02. Of late years, and especially since the introduction of new systems in Spain and Italy, the name is seldom heard.
Pitt, an E. county of North Carolina, intersected by Tar river; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,276, of whom 8,414 were colored. It has a level surface and sandy soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 11,397 bushels of wheat, 498,662 of Indian corn, 71,735 of sweet potatoes, 14,456 of peas and beans, and 8,414 bales of cotton. There were 1,668 horses, 1,074 mules and asses, 2,598 milch cows, 4,712 other cattle, 2,260 sheep, and 20,298 swine. Capital, Greenville.
Pittsylvania, a S. county of Virginia, bordering on North Carolina, bounded N. by the Staunton, intersected by the Banister through the middle, and drained by the Dan river on the south; area, about 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 31,343, of whom 16,084 were colored. It has a diversified surface and fertile soil. The Richmond, Danville, and Piedmont railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 125,359 bushels of wheat, 307,657 of Indian corn, 252,787 of oats, 20,332 of Irish and 9,145 of sweet potatoes, and 4,282,511 lbs. of tobacco. There were 2,926 horses, 1,310 mules and asses, 5,031 milch cows, 1,175 working oxen, 6,584 other cattle, 5,664 sheep, and 21,-197 swine. Capital, Pittsylvania Court House.
Piute, an E. county of Utah, bordering on Colorado, and intersected by the Grand and Green rivers; area, about 6,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 82. The W. part is crossed by the Wahsatch mountains, and watered by Sevier river. It is mostly sterile. Capital, Bullion.