Princess Anne, a county forming the S. E. extremity of Virginia, bordered N. by Chesapeake bay, E. by the Atlantic, and S. by North Carolina; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,273, of whom 3,902 were colored. It has a level surface and sandy soil, and contains large forests of pine and cypress, affording an important lumber trade. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,831 bushels of wheat, 398,105 of Indian corn, 21,985 of oats, 17,617 of peas and beans, 19,975 of Irish and 39,416 of sweet potatoes, 1,229 tons of hay, 7,105 lbs. of wool, and 25,112 of butter. There were 1,299 horses, 239 mules and asses, 1,538 milch cows, 2,955 other cattle, 3,061 sheep, and 13,564 swine. Capital, Princess Anne Court House.
Principato Citeriore, Or Salerno, a province of S. Italy, in Campania, bordering on Principal Ulteriore, Basilicata, and the Tyrrhenian sea; area, 2,126 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 541,738. On the W. coast is the gulf of Salerno, and on the S. coast that of Policastro and Cape Palinuro. The principal rivers are the Sarno, the Tusciano, and the Sele,' with its affluent the Calore. It is traversed by branches of the Apennines, being level only in the portion watered by the lower Tusciano and Sele. Tillage, pasturage, and the cultivation of the vine, olives, and fruits, constitute the principal occupations. The fisheries are famous. The region adjoining Vesuvius is like a garden" and has mineral springs. The province is divided into the districts of Salerno, Campagna, Vallo della Lucania, and Sala Oonsilina. Capital, Salerno.
Principato Ulteriore, Or Avellino, a province of S. Italy, in Campania, bordering on Benevento, Foggia, Basilicata, Principato Cite-riore, and Terra di Lavoro; area, 1,409 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 375,691. It is traversed by lofty ridges of the Apennines, and watered by the Ofanto and several tributaries of the Volturno. Near Ariano are marble quarries. There is fine pasturage, wine and olives are produced in fair quantities, and the productions generally suffice for local consumption. The province is divided into the districts of Avellino, Ariano, and Sant' Angelo de' Lom-bardi, corresponding to three natural divisions formed by the Apennines. Capital, Avellino.
Priscianus, a Roman grammarian, who lived about A. D. 500, and is supposed from his surname Caesariensis to have been born or educated at Caesesarea. He was a pupil of Theoc-tistus, and taught grammar at Constantinople, was in receipt of a salary from the government, and was probably a Christian. His Com-mentariorum Grammaticorum Libri XVIII contains a large number of quotations from Greek and Latin writers not otherwise known, and a parallel between the Greek and Latin languages. He also wrote a "Grammatical Catechism on twelve Lines of the AEneid," a "Treatise on Accents," one on "The Metres of Terence," some short poems, and several translations from the Greek; and the acrostics prefixed to the plays of Plautus are ascribed to him. His name is familiar in the phrase diminuere Prisciani caput (to break Priscian's head), commonly applied to those who use false Latin.