Renfrew, an E. county of Ontario, Canada, bounded N. E. by the Ottawa river above Ottawa; area, 2,389 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 27,977, of whom 13,565 were of Irish, 6,147 of Scotch, 2,882 of French, 2,658 of English, and 2,318 of German origin or descent. It is intersected by the Bonnechere and Madawaska rivers. The surface is rough and hilly and the soil fertile. Capital, Pembroke.
Renfrewshire, a W. county of Scotland, bounded N. by the river Clyde, and W. by the frith of Clyde; area, 254 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 216,947. The chief towns are Paisley, Greenock, Renfrew, and Port Glasgow. The whole county is included in the basin of the Clyde, and its E. part is within the great coal district of the west of Scotland. Alum and iron are produced in large quantities. The Stuart family had their earliest known patrimonial inheritance in the parish of Renfrew in this county.
See Cheese, vol. iv., p. 349.
Reno, a S. county of Kansas, intersected in the N. E. corner by the Arkansas river, and watered by several of its affluents; area, 1,512 sq. m. It is not included in the census of 1870. Capital, Hutchinson.
A S. W. County Of Minnesota, bounded S. W. by the Minnesota river, and drained by its branches; area, about 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,219. The surface consists mostly of rolling prairies, and the soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 43,289 bushels of wheat, 6,537 of Indian corn, 27,659 of oats, 9,731 tons of hay, 1,735 lbs. of wool, and 40,185 of butter. There were 993 milch cows, 1,759 other cattle, 833 sheep, and 285 swine. Capital, Beaver Falls.
A N. W. County Of Dakota, bordering on British America, recently formed, and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 1,800 sq. m. The S. TV. part is occupied by the Plateau du Co-teau du Missouri; the rest is watered by Mouse river. The surface is generally undulating, and the county is well adapted for grazing.
Republic, a N. county of Kansas, bordering on Nebraska, and intersected by the Republican river; area, 720 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,281. It has an undulating prairie surface. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,626 bushels of wheat, 16,820 of Indian corn, 4,705 of potatoes, 13,790 lbs. of butter, and 1,079 tons of hay. There were 463 horses, 1,039 cattle, 325 sheep, and 181 swine. Capital, Belleville.
See Kansas, vol. ix., p. 747.
Resaca De La Palma, a ravine, as its name imports, thickly grown with palm trees, that crosses the Matamoros road, in Texas, about 3 m. from the place where the road opens upon the Rio Grande opposite Matamoros. In a battle fought here, May 9, 1846, 2,000 United States troops under Gen. Zachary Taylor defeated 6,000 Mexicans under Gen. Arista.
Resht, Or Reshd, a city of Persia, capital of the province of Ghilan, about 5 m. inland from the bay of Murd-ab or Enzeli in the Caspian sea, and 142 m. N. W. of Teheran; pop. about 20,000. It is well paved, and the houses are uncommonly neat and of superior construction. There are extensive bazaars, and a large trade is carried on in raw silk, embroideries, fruits, and fish. It has of late greatly decreased in importance and population, partly from frequent visitations of cholera. The population embraces Persians, Russians, Turks, Armenians, Jews, and Hindoos, and the streets and bazaars swarm with fakirs, dervishes, and other mendicants. Enzeli, at the entrance of the gulf of Murd-ab, is its port, but the sea is there so boisterous and the surf so high that the steamers plying between Astrabad and Baku are at times not able to land their passengers. Treaties of peace between Persia and Russia were signed at Resht in 1729 and 1732.