Caldwell, the name of five counties in the United States. I. A N. W. county of North Carolina, bounded S. E. by the Catawba river; area, 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,476, of whom 1,380 were colored. A portion of the surface is mountainous, the N. W. part comprising a declivity of the Blue Ridge. The Western North Carolina railroad touches the S. boundary. The chief productions in 1870 were 24,455 bushels of wheat, 207,731 of Indian corn, 35,313 of oats, and 27,000 lbs. of tobacco. There were 868 horses, 223 milch cows, 4,161 other cattle, 5,976 sheep, 13,210 swine. Capital, Lenoir. II. A parish of Louisiana, intersected by the Washita, which is here navigable by steamboats, and drained by affluents of Little river; area, 528 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,820, of whom 2,224 were colored. The surface is hilly. The chief productions in 1870 were 75,741 bushels of Indian corn, 15,512 of sweet potatoes, and 4,157 bales of cotton. There were 873 horses, 1,488 milch cows, 4,540 other cattle, 2,843 sheep, and 10,117 swine. Capital, Columbia. III. A S. E. county of Texas; area, 535 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,572, of whom 2,531 were colored. It has an undulating, well wooded surface, and a good soil, abundantly watered by the San Marcos river, which forms the western boundary, and by several small creeks.
The forests contain live oak, elm, cottonwood, post oak, hickory, and ash. It is chiefly an agricultural county, though stock-raising is pursued to a considerable extent. The Lockhart springs, about 20 in number, are at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870 were 120,965 bushels of Indian corn, 12,039 of sweet potatoes, and 1,692 bales of cotton. There were 3,842 horses, 3,331 milch cows, 16,824 other cattle, 4,234 sheep, and 7,784 swine. Capital, Lockhart. IV. A W. county of Kentucky, bounded N. E. by an affluent of the Ohio river; area, about 350 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,826, of whom 2,078 were colored. The surface is generally level; there are pasture lands scattered over the county; iron ore is abundant, and a large bed of coal has been opened in the northern part. The Elizabethtown and Padu-cah railroad will pass through the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 56,847 bushels of wheat, 438,660 of Indian corn, 26,667 of oats, 18,727 lbs. of wool, and 2,221,899 of tobacco. There were 2,377 horses, 1,275 mules and asses, 2,010 milch cows, 3,103 other cattle, 9,226 sheep, and 14,092 swine. Capital, Princeton. V. A N. W. county of Missouri, intersected by Shoal creek, and having a flat surface and a rich soil; area, 435 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,-390, of whom 284 were colored.
The Hannibal and St. Joseph railroad passes through the N. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 104,130 bushels of wheat, 728,121 of Indian corn, 217,040 of oats, 59,872 of potatoes, 6,745 tons.of hay, 206,150 lbs. of butter, and 36,374 of wool. There were 5,212 horses, 3,571 milch cows, 7,391 other cattle, 12,806 sheep, and 15,903 swine. Capital, Kingston.
Caldwell, a post village, capital of Warren county, N. Y., 52 m. N. of Albany; pop. in 1870, 1,041. It stands in the midst of a picturesque region at the S. end of Lake George, and is much visited by tourists. A steamboat plies between it and the outlet of the lake. It contains the ruins of Fort George, memorable in the French and revolutionary wars; and the Fort William Henry hotel, on the site of the old fort of that name, is one of the largest in the United States.