I. A central county of Rhode Island, bounded E. by Narragansett bay, and W. by Connecticut; area, 186 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,595. It has a diversified surface and a good soil, and is drained by Flat, Pawtuxet, Moosup, and Wood rivers. The Hartford, Providence, and Fishkill, and the Stonington and Providence railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,152 bushels of rye, 31,707 of Indian corn, 4,955 of oats, 94,035 of potatoes, 103,227 lbs. of butter, and 10,234 tons of hay. There were on farms 1,081 horses, 2,380 milch cows, 1,882 other cattle, 1,509 sheep, and 2,001 swine; 9 manufactories of clothing, 23 of cotton goods, 9 of drugs and chemicals, 2 of iron castings, 4 of cotton and woollen machinery, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 4 of woollen goods, 4 print works, 2 bleaching and dyeing establishments, 17 saw mills, and 5 flour mills. Capital, East Greenwich. II. A central county of Delaware, bounded E. by Delaware bay, and W. by Maryland; area, 640 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 29,804, of whom 7,164 were colored. It has an undulating surface and a fertile soil, and is drained by Choptank and Marshy Hope rivers. It is traversed by the Delaware, the Delaware and Maryland, the Smyrna branch, and the Junction and Breakwater railroads.
The chief productions in 1870 were 321,954 bushels of wheat, 885,178 of Indian corn, 145,238 of oats, 81,788 of Irish and 25,418 of sweet potatoes, 15,195 lbs. of wool, 221,212 of butter, and 7,239 tons of hay. There were 5,232 horses, 1,436 mules and asses, 6,222 milch cows, 1,274 working oxen, 5,235 other cattle, 5,316 sheep, and 11,421 swine; 6 manufactories of agricultural implements, 4 of baskets, 6 of bricks, 21 of carriages, 3 of canned and preserved fruits, 6 of iron castings, 1 of sash, doors, and blinds, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 tanneries, 2 currying establishments, 13 saw mills, and 6 flour mills. Capital, Dover, which is also the capital of the state. III. A N. E. county of Maryland, bounded E. by Delaware and W. by Chesapeake bay, and drained by Sassafras and Cheater rivers; area, 240 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,102, of whom 7,732 were colored. The surface is slightly diversified, and the soil moderately fertile. The Kent County railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 473,601 bushels of wheat, 723,824 of Indian corn, 143,653 of oats, 44,003 of potatoes, 26,550 lbs. of wool, 155,974 of butter, and 4,380 tons of hay.
There were 4,535 horses, 3,518 milch cows, 5,218 other cattle, 6,154 sheep, and 12,866 swine; 2 manufactories of packing boxes, 5 of carriages, 3 flour mills, and 1 saw mill. Capital, Chestertown. IV. A W. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, drained by Grand, Rouge, and Thornapple rivers; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 50,403. The surface is moderately uneven, and the soil, which is, very fertile, consists of deep vegetable loam on a substratum of clay. It is well timbered, and contains limestone, gypsum, and salt. It is traversed by six railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 704,089 bushels of wheat, 405,281 of Indian corn, 343,556 of oats, 480,999 of potatoes, 251,721 lbs. of wool, 25,944 of hops, 86,336 of maple sugar, 862,309 of butter, and 47,983 tons of hay. There were 8,386 horses, 9,095 milch cows, 2,009 working oxen, 8,586 other cattle, 63,360 sheep, and 13,-199 swine. There were 45 saw mills, 18 flour mills, 7 iron founderies, and many other manufacturing establishments, chiefly in Grand Rapids, the capital.
I. A S. W. county of Ontario, Canada, bounded S. E. and S. by Lake Erie, W. by Lake St. Clair, and N. W. by Big Bear creek; area, 951 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 40,634, of whom 12,531 were of English, 8,893 of Irish, 7,452 of Scotch, 3,693 of French, 3,969 of African, and 2,788 of German descent. It is traversed by the Great Western and Canada Southern railways, and intersected by the river Thames. The surface is generally level, and the soil, especially in the river bottoms, is fertile. Wheat, maize, oats, and tobacco are the principal productions. Capital, Chatham. II. An E. county of New Brunswick, Canada, bordering on the gulf of St. Lawrence and Northumberland strait; area, 1,720 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 19,101, of whom 10,701 were of French, 3,041 of Scotch, 2,564 of Irish, and 2,486 of English descent. The Richibucto and Cocagne or Cocayne are the principal rivers. The coasts are broken by several good harbors, which afford excellent opportunities for ship building. Nearly half the county is unsettled, and the most valuable production is timber, which is exported in large quantities to England. Capital, Richibucto.