Cartago (Kartah'go), (1) a river and landlocked bay or lagoon, communicating with the Caribbean Sea, near the northern extremity of the Mosquito Coast. - (2) A town of Costa Rica, 12 miles E. of the present capital, San Jose, on a plain to the south of the constantly smoking volcano of Irazu (11,500 feet). Pop. 8000. Founded in 1522, the place had 23,000 inhabitants in 1823, and was capital of the state till 1841, when it was all but destroyed by an earthquake. - (3) A town of Cauca, in Colombia, founded in 1540, on the Rio Viejo, 3 miles above its junction with the Cauca. Pop. 9000.
Carthage was a city on the north coast of Africa, the capital of one of the great empires of the ancient world. It was situated on a peninsula at the north-east corner of the region now known as Tunis, and was founded, most probably, about the middle of the 9th century b.c, by Phoenicians.
The name Carthage is a corruption of Kirjath, the Canaanite word for a town, which occurs in Scripture in such names as Kirjath-Baal and Kirjath-Jearim. The city, called Carthago by the Romans, and Karchedon by the Greeks, was known to its own inhabitants as Kirjath-Hade-shath, or the New Town, to distinguish it either from Tyre or from the earlier Phoenician colony of Utica. It was destroyed by the Romans in 146 b.c, its pop. numbering 700,000. See works by Bosworth Smith (1879) and Church (1886).