Usedom (Oo'zeh-dom), a Prussian island at the mouth of the Oder, shutting off the Stettiner Haff from the Baltic. Area, 157 sq. m.; pop. 35,000. On its E. side is Swinemiinde (q.v.), on the SW. the town of Usedom (pop. 1786).
Ushant (Fr. form Ouessant), an island off the W. coast of France, in the dep. of Finisterre, with an area of 20 sq. m. and a pop. (1891) of 2720. Off Ushant on 'the glorious first of June' 1794 Howe gained a great naval victory.
Usk, a beautiful river of South Wales and Monmouthshire, rising at Talsarn, one of the Black Mountains, and winding 57 miles SE. to the Bristol Channel. The town of Usk, 12 miles SW. of Monmouth, has a ruined castle, and with Monmouth and Newport returns a member. Pop. 1477.
Uspallata. See Chili.
Ussuri. See Amur.
Ust Urt (u as oo), the desert plateau between the Caspian and the Sea of Aral.
Utica (Yoo'tica), an ancient city of North Africa, 20 miles NW. of Carthage, originally a Phoenician colony on the coast (now 10 miles distant). Its ruins include an amphitheatre, an aqueduct, and the remains of quays. Here the younger Cato killed himself.
Utica (Yoo'tica), a city of New York, 232 miles by rail NNW. of New York City. Rising in a gentle slope from the south bank of the Mohawk River, and traversed by the Erie Canal, it contains a fine United States building, a city hall, state lunatic asylum, and a Masonic Home and School (begun in 1891), is a noted market for cheese, and manufactures boots and shoes, cottons and woollens, organs and pianos, machinery, starch, etc. Pop. (1880) 33,914; (1900) 56,383.
Uttoxeter (Ux'eter; A.S. Uttoeceaster), a market-town of Staffordshire, on an eminence above the Dove, 14 miles ENE. of Stafford. In its market-place Dr Johnson did penance bareheaded; and it has a modern church with an old tower and lofty spire, a town-hall (1855), a mechanics' institute, a free grammar-school (rebuilt 1859), and manufactures of iron, nails, ropes, beer, etc. Pop. 5130.
Uxbridge, a market-town of Middlesex, on the Colne, 16 miles W. of London. It has one church, St Margaret's, restored 1872; another, St Andrew's (1865), with a spire of 170 feet; a town-hall (1836); and a spacious corn exchange (1861). Pop. 8585. Commissioners met here fruitlessly in January 1645 to discuss terms of peace between Charles I. and the parliament. See Redford's History of Uxbridge (1818).