Ragu'sa (u as oo; Slav. Dubrovnik), a decayed city of Dalmatia, stands on the east shore of the Adriatic, 100 miles SE. of Spalato. Greek first and then Roman, Ragusa afterwards became an independent republic, and so maintained itself until 1808 under the protection successively of Byzantium, Venice, Hungary, and the Porte. Napoleon in 1809 incorporated Ragusa in Illyria; and since 1814, like the rest of Dalmatia, it has belonged to Austria. Ragusa had long before this declined from her former greatness, having suffered repeatedly from fires, plagues, and earthquakes. Chief amongst its buildings are the palace (1435-64) of the rectors (chief-magistrates), the custom-house and mint (c. 1312-1520), the Dominican church (1306) and monastery (1348), the Franciscan church and monastery (1317), and the church of St Biagio (Blaise), the patron saint of the town, built in 1348-52, but rebuilt in 1715. The old cathedral was destroyed by the disastrous earthquake of 1667; its successor (1671-1713) has some valuable silver ornaments. The harbour is now sanded up. Merchandise is landed and shipped at the harbour of Gravosa, to the N. Pop. 13,170. See T. G. Jackson's Dalmatia (vol. ii. 1887).