Ramsgate, a watering-place of Kent, in the south-east of the Isle of Thanet, 72 miles E. by S. of London, 4 SSE. of Margate, and 15 ENE. of Canterbury. From a small fishing-village it began to increase in importance during the 18th century through successful trade with Russia, and through the formation here (1750-95) of a harbour of refuge for the Downs. That harbour, 51 acres in extent, with a sea-entrance 250 feet wide, is enclosed on the east and west by two piers 670 and 520 yards long. The aspect of the place, which George Eliot calls ' a strip of London come out for an airing,' is familiar through Frith's 'Ramsgate Sands' (1854); among its special features are an obelisk marking the spot where George IV. in 1S21 embarked for Hanover, an iron promenade pier (1881), the fine Granville Hotel, a beautiful Roman Catholic church by the Pugins, a Benedictine monastery, college, and convent, and a Jewish synagogue and college, erected by Sir Moses Montefiore, who, like the elder Pugin, was a resident. To the north is Broadstairs (q.v.), beloved of Dickens; and to the west Pegwell Bay, with Ebbsfleet, the landing-place of St Augustine, and also, traditionally, of Hengist and Horsa. Here, too, is Osengall Hill, with an early Saxon cemetery. Ramsgate was incorporated in 1884. Pop. (1851) 11,838; (1881) 22,683; (1901) 27,733. See James Sirason's Historic Thanet (1891).