Grangemouth, a rising port in Stirlingshire, 3 miles ENE. of Falkirk. Founded in 1777, and erected into a police-burgh in 1872, Grangemouth has extensive quays and warehouses, docks (including a large one opened in 1882), a graving-dock, and shipbuilding yards. The trade of the port has risen very rapidly. In 1840 the shipping entering and clearing it was 31,686 tons annually ; in 1876, 840,326; since 1904 it has exceeded 2,230,000 tons - the port then ranking fifth in importance in Scotland. Since 1887 there has been a regular line of passenger-steamers between Grangemouth and London, owned by the Carron Iron Company, whose works are within 2 miles of the port. The principal imports are timber, hemp, flax, tallow, deals, iron, and grain; and the exports are manufactured iron, and coal. At Grangemouth some of the earliest experiments in steam-navigation were made, the Charlotte Dundas being built there in 1801. Pop. (1831) 1155 ; (1871) 2569 ; (1891) 6354 ; (1901) 8386.
Gran Sasso d'Italia ('Great Rock of Italy'), or Monte Corno, from its resemblance to a horn on the east, is situated on the borders of the Abruzzi, between Teramo and Aquila. It is the highest summit (9574 feet) of the Apennines.
Grantchester, a village on the Cam, 2 1/2 miles SSW. of Cambridge. Pop. of parish, 1196.
Grantown, a village of Elginshire, § mile from the Spey's left bank, and 142 miles by rail N. by W. of Edinburgh. Founded in 1776, and a police-burgh since 1890, it is surrounded by pine woods, and is a holiday and health resort. Pop. 1523.
Granville, a fortified seaport in the French dep. of La Manche, on a rocky promontory in the English Channel, 23 miles NE. of St Malo. The industries include fishing, shipbuilding, tanning, and the manufacture of brandy, chemicals, and iron-ware. Pop. 10,500.
Grasmere, a Westmorland village, 4 miles NW. of Ambleside. There are four hotels. Pop. 784. Its antique church is the church of the Excursion ; and in the churchyard, washed by the Rothay, are the graves of Wordsworth and Hartley Coleridge. 'Grasmere's peaceful lake,' with its ' one green island,' lies 1/2 mile to the south, between Loughrigg Fell (1101 feet) and Helm Crag (1299). Measuring 1 1/4 by 1/2 mile, it is 208 feet above sea-level, and 130 feet deep.