Tamworth, a town on the border of Stafford and Warwick shires, at the confluence of the Tame and Anker, 17 1/2 miles NNE. of Birmingham, and 110 NW. of London. Burned by the Danes in 911, and rebuilt by the Princess Ethelfleda, it was the seat of a castle of the Saxon kings, held afterwards by the Marmions, Feirars, etc, and now by the Marquis of Townshend. That castle crowns a knoll 130 feet high; in its noble round keep Mary, Queen of Scots, was a prisoner. The church of St Edith, restored since 1870 at a cost of 10,000, has interesting monuments and a curious double tower-staircase. There are also a bronze statue of Peel (M.P. 1833-50), the new Jubilee municipal buildings and assembly rooms, a town-hall (1701), a grammar-school (1588; rebuilt 1868), almshouses founded by Thomas Guy (the founder of Guy's Hospital, who was brought up here), a cottage hospital, recreation grounds, etc. The manufactures include elastic, tape, smallwares, paper, etc.; and in the vicinity are market-gardens and coal-pits. A municipal borough, chartered by Elizabeth, Tarnworth returned two members until 1885. The borough boundary was extended in 1890. Pop. (1851) 4059; (1901) 7271. See two works by C. F. R. Palmer (1871-75).