Ballard, a W. county of Kentucky, separated from Missouri by the Mississippi river, and from Illinois by the Ohio; area, 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,576, of whom 1,477 were colored. It has a moderately uneven surface, with plenty of good timber land. The soil of the southern portions of the county is quite fertile, but in the north it is poor. The chief productions in 1870 were 70,794 bushels of wheat, 577,759 of corn, 28,223 of oats, 18,198 of Irish and 17,220 of sweet potatoes, and 2,863,455 lbs. of tobacco. Capital, Blandville.
Ballenstedt, a town of the duchy of An-halt, Germany, at the foot of the Lower Hartz, on the Getel, 15 m. S. E. of Halbertstadt; pop. in 1867, 4,500. Count Esico IV. of Ballen-stedt founded about the middle of the 10th century a collegiate church, which was soon afterward changed into a Benedictine convent. After 1525 a castle took the place of the convent, which had been destroyed by the peasants. In 1765 it became the residence of the dukes of Anhalt-Bernburg.
Ballina, a seaport town of Ireland, county Mayo, separated from county Sligo by the river Moy, 7 m. from its mouth in Killala bay, and 57 in. N. of Galway; pop. about 5,500, including the suburb of Ardnaree, on the right or Sligo side of the Moy, and 1,300 inmates of the union workhouse. Ballina is well built, in a fine situation. It contains a parish church and several Protestant chapels, and has considerable agricultural industry and important salmon fisheries. Its trade has of late years largely increased. The town was captured by the French in 1798.
Ballinasloe, a town of Ireland, in Con-naught, 34 in. E. N. E. of Galway; pop. in 1871, 3,200. The river Suck divides the town into two parts, the larger of which is in county Galway and the other in Roscommon; they are connected by bridges and causeways, over which passes the road from Athlone to Galway. It is a handsome town, and has enormous horse fairs and an active trade in grain.
Balloon. See Aeronautics.
Ballston Spa, a post village, the capital of Saratoga county, N. Y., situated in a valley on a branch of the Kayaderosseras creek, 7 m. S. W. of Saratoga Springs; pop. in 1870, 2,970. Its mineral springs were once extensively frequented, but have declined in popular estimation. It has a court house, bank, two weekly newspapers, and several churches. The Saratoga and Schenectady and Rensselaer and Saratoga railroads pass through the place.
Ballymem, a market town of Ulster, Ireland, in county Antrim, on the river Braid, 23 m. N. N. W. of Belfast; pop. in 1871, 6,739. It is largely engaged in the linen manufacture, and has weekly markets for the sale of linens, grain, and provisions. The Belfast and Northern Counties railway passes through it.
Balmoral, a summer residence of Queen Victoria, in the Scottish highlands, parish of Crathie, Aberdeenshire, on the right bank of the Dee, 44 m. W. S. W. of Aberdeen. The castle stands on a natural platform, at the foot of Craig-an-gowan, about 900 ft. above the sea. The estate was leased in 1848 and purchased in 1852 by Prince Albert. It comprises an area of over 100,000 acres, including 1,000 acres of woodland, and a deer park of 30,000 acres. The scenery is highly romantic, and the neighboring country is famous for its deer stalking, grouse shooting, and lake and river fishing. Near the Ben-a-bourd, one of the most picturesque mountains, is the monument to Prince Albert erected by the queen in 1863.'