Dunfermline, a market town and parliamentary burgh of Fifeshire, Scotland, 13 m. N.W. of Edinburgh; pop. in 1871, 14,958. The houses on its principal streets are generally well built, and many of them have fine gardens. The first factory was established in Dunfermline in 1718, and it has since become one of the most flourishing of the northern manufacturing towns. Its finest modern edifice is the abbey church, on the site of the ancient church of the abbey, long the place of sepulture of the Scottish kings, and which was destroyed at the reformation. Beneath its pulpit are the remains of Robert Bruce, which in 1818 were discovered encased in lead.
Dungannon, a market town and parliamentary borough of Ireland, county Tyrone, 12 m. N. N. W. of Armagh, on the railway from Dun-dalk to Londonderry; pop. in 1871, 3,955. The town has Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic places of worship, and a classical school founded in the reign of Charles II. There are manufactures of linen and earthenware. Dungannon was anciently the seat of the O'Neils, kings of Ulster. In 1782 the Ulster volunteers issued here their resolutions declaratory of the independence of Ireland.
Dungarvan, a maritime town and parliamentary borough of Ireland, county Waterford, principally situated on a peninsula in the estuary of the river Colligan, 25 m. W. S. W. of Waterford; pop. in 1871, 7,700. The river Colligan divides the town into two portions, connected by a bridge and causeway; the eastern is called Abbeyside. The public buildings are the provincial bank, a fine structure with granite front, two other banks, an Episcopal and two Roman Catholic churches, two convents, a monastery, a fever hospital, and a military barrack. The exports are chiefly grain, butter, and cattle. The inhabitants are largely engaged in hake and herring fisheries.
Dunklin, a S. E. county of Missouri, bordering on Arkansas, bounded W. by the St. Francis river, intersected by Castor river, and having Lake Pemiscot on its E. border; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,982, of whom 166 were colored. The surface is occupied in great part by prairies and swamps, but the soil is generally fertile where not overflowed. Efforts have been made to reclaim the sunken lands, caused by the earthquakes of 1811 and 1812. The chief productions in 1870 were 256,620 bushels of Indian corn, and 5,267 of wheat. There were 1,211 horses, 1,697 milch cows, 3,251 other cattle, 2,622 sheep, and 11,-376 swine. Capital, Kennet.
Dunn, a N. W. county of Wisconsin, intersected by Chippewa and Cedar rivers; area, 850 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,488. The surface is uneven and generally covered with forests. The soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 204,346 bushels of wheat, 71,574 of Indian corn, 233,404 of oats, 45,069 of potatoes, 12,329 tons of hay, and 209,830 lbs. of butter. There were 1,567 horses, 2,813 milch cows, 4,512 other cattle, 4,182 sheep, and 4,214 swine; 3 flour mills, 1 planing mill, 14 saw mills, and 2 machine shops. Capital, Menomonee.