Georgc Gabriel Stores, a British mathematician, born in Skreen, Ireland, Aug. 13, 1819. He graduated at Cambridge in 1841, and was elected a fellow of Pembroke college. In 1849 he was appointed Lucasian professor of mathematics in the university. In 1851 he was chosen fellow of the roval society, and in 1852 contributed to its "Transactions" his celebrated paper " On the Change of the Refran-gihility of Light," which gained the Rumford medal. He was elected president of the British association in 1869. He has published many papers on questions in pure mathematics and phvsics, particularly on the theory of light.
George A Bass., an English navigator, died early in the 19th century. He was a surgeon in the navy, and made in 1796 with Matthew Flinders his first two voyages of discovery on the coast of New South Wales in a boat only 8 ft. long, which they called the Tom Thumb. In 1797 the government despatched him on a third voyage, during which he discovered in 1798 the strait that bears his name, between Tasmania and New South Wales. He was soon after sent again, with Flinders, with directions to sail around Tasmania and examine and project the coast. His labors greatly increased the progress of colonization, but he died unhon-ored and unrequited for his arduous and adventurous efforts. See " Voyage to Terra Aus-tralis" (2 vols., London, 1814), by Flinders.
George Alexander Stevens, an English author, born in London in the early part of the 18th century, died at Baldock, Hertfordshire, Sept. 6, 1784. He was at first a strolling actor, and acquired reputation as a writer of burlesques and of comic songs. In 17G0 he published a novel, "The History of Tom Fool," and a few years later produced an entertainment entitled "A Lecture on Heads.1' He also published a volume of "Songs, Comic and Satirical" (1772); and after his death appeared "The Adventures of a Speculist, compiled from the Papers of G. A. Stevens, with his Life, a Preface, and Notes" (1788).
George Augustus Selwyn, an English clergyman, born in 1809. He was educated at St. John's college, Cambridge, was rector at Windsor for a short time, and was consecrated missionary bishop of New Zealand in 1841, where he labored for many years. In 1867 he was appointed bishop of Lichfield. He has published "Are Cathedral Institutions Useless?" (1838); "Sermons" (1842); "Tribal Analysis of the Bible" (1855); and "The Work of Christ in the World" (1855).
George Basevi, an English architect, born at Brighton in 1794, died at Ely, Oct. 16, 1845. He was a pupil of Sir John Soane, and travelled in Greece and Italy. In 1819 he commenced practice in London on his own account with great success. Belgrave square was erected from his designs. He was joint architect with Mr. Sidney Smirke of the conservative club house, St. James's street, a beautiful building. His best and greatest work, the Fitz-william museum at Cambridge, was finished by Mr. Cockerell. While inspecting the west bell tower of Ely cathedral, then being restored under his direction, he fell through an aperture a distance of 40 feet, and was killed.