Lapeer, a S. E. county of Michigan, drained by the sources of Flint and Belle rivers; area, 828 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,345. It has a rolling surface and a rich soil, and is well wooded. The Port Huron and Lake Michigan, and the Detroit and Bay City railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 357,521 bushels of wheat, 241,266 of Indian corn, 300,735 of oats, 37,585 of barley, 152,984 of potatoes, 33,650 lbs. of hops, 241,-179 of wool, 646,757 of butter, 29,365 of cheese, and 29,835 tons of hay. There were 4,973 horses, 5,301 milch cows, 1,011 working oxen, 6,346 other cattle, 52,191 sheep, and 6,793 swine; 4 manufactories of carriages, 2 of iron castings, 1 of engines and boilers, 7 of saddlery and harness, 3 of sash, doors, and blinds, 1 of woollen goods, 11 flour mills, and 30 saw mills. Capital, Lapeer.
Lapithae, in Grecian legends, a people of the mountains of Thessaly, descended from Lapithes, the son of Apollo and Stilbe. They were governed by Pirithous, the son of Ixion, and are famous for their battles with the centaurs, who, being likewise sons of Ixion, claimed a share in their father's kingdom. The wars having been closed by a peace, Pirithous invited the centaurs to a feast on occasion of his marriage with Hippodamia; but, heated with wine and urged on by Mars, they attempted to carry off the bride and other women, whereupon a conflict ensued, in which the Lapithae were victorious. The story is related by Hesiod and Ovid. The Lapithae were probably a Pelasgian people, whose conquest of some less civilized tribe originated the classic fable. To them is ascribed the invention of bits and bridles.
A S. W. county of Quebec, Canada, bounded N. by the St. Lawrence river, opposite the island of Montreal; area, 173 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 11,861, of whom 10,154 were of French origin or descent, and 1,351 Indians. It is traversed by the Cham-plain and Province Line divisions of the Grand Trunk railway. Capital, Laprairie.
Lar, a town of Persia, capital of the province of Laristan, 175 m. S. S. E. of Shiraz, on the road to Beloochistan; pop. about 12,000. It contains good houses and one of the finest bazaars in Persia. The palace of the governor has strong walls and towers, and on an adjoining hill are the ruins of a castle. Cotton goods, firearms, and powder are manufactured to a limited extent.
Lard High Steward, in England, the highest officer under the crown, who was formerly known by the Latin title of magnus seneschal-lus. Under the Plantagencts the office was hereditary, and was held by the house of Leicester, until forfeited by Simon de Montfort. Since the reign of Henry IV. it has been abolished as a permanent dignity, and is conferred for some special occasion, as a trial before the house of peers or a coronation. The lord high steward presides at the former, and at the close of the proceedings breaks his wand and dissolves the court. - The office of steward, or Stewart, also existed from early times in Scotland, and gave name to the royal family of Stuart, in which it was hereditary from the time of David I. (1124-53) till the accession to the throne of Robert (II.) Stuart, grandson of King Robert Bruce, in 1371.