Lavaca, a S. E. county of Texas, watered by Lavaca and Navidad rivers; area, 926 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,168, of whom 2,707 were cob ored. It has an undulating surface, partly covered with ash and post-oak timber, and a fertile soil adapted to cotton, sugar, and Indian corn. The chief productions in 1870 were 261,815 bushels of Indian corn, 47,287 of sweet potatoes, 19,508 lbs. of wool, and 3,528 bales of cotton. There were 5,970 horses, 1,058 mules and asses, 21,012 milch cows, 2,553 working oxen, 56,309 other cattle, 10,890 sheep, and 20,494 swine. Capital, Hallettsville.
Lavaur, a town of Languedoc, France, in the department of Tarn, on the Agout, 21 m. N. E. of Toulouse; pop. in 1866, 7,376. It has a college, a public library, and a flourishing silk industry. Near it are coal mines. It was the strongest fortress of the Albigenses, and was in 1211 taken by Simon de Montfort. From 1317 to 1801 it was the seat of a bishop.
Lavinium, an ancient city of Italy, in Latium, situated near the sea, between Laurentum and Ardea, about 17 m. S. of Rome. It is said to have been founded by AEneas, shortly after his arrival in Italy, and named by him after his wife Lavinia. He made it the capital of Latium, but it was never in historic times of much political importance; and Strabo speaks of it as presenting the mere vestiges of a city, though still retaining a sacred character. It was customary for the Roman consuls and praeors, when entering on their office, to offer sacrifices here to Vesta and the Penates.
Law (A. S. legu, lag, lah, from lecgan, to lay), in a general sense, a rule of action; in a more restricted one, a rule of human conduct, or collectively a body of regulations adapted to a particular subject. In the civil code of Louisiana it is defined as a " solemn expression of the legislative will." Law, regarded as a body of rules for the direction of the individual in his relations with society, is treated in the articles Civil Law, Code, Common Law, Criminal Law, Law Merchant, and Martial Law; as regards matters of ecclesiastical jurisdiction, in the article Canon Law; and as regards the mutual rights and relations of states, in the article Law of Nations.
Lawrenceburg, a city and the capital of Dearborn co., Indiana, situated in the S. E. corner of the state, on the Ohio river, 22 m. below Cincinnati, and 82 m. S. E. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 3,159. It is the terminus of the Whitewater canal, and the point of junction of the Ohio and Mississippi and the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Lafayette railroads. It contains a foundery, two flour mills, two furniture factories, breweries and distilleries, three national banks, a court house, graded public schools, two weekly newspapers, and seven churches.
See Law Merchant.
See Law Merchant, vol. x., p. 219.