Lock Haven, a city and the capital of Clinton co., Pennsylvania, on the S. bank of the W. branch of the Susquehanna river, at the mouth of Bald Eagle creek, and on the West Branch canal and the Philadelphia and Erie and the Bald Eagle Valley division of the Pennsylvania railroad, 70 m. N. N. W. of Harris-burg; pop. in 1870, 6,986. It is a centre of the lumber trade, large quantities of logs being floated down the river to this point, and contains several saw mills, two national banks, graded public schools, including two high schools, and three weekly newspapers.
Locle, a town of Switzerland, in the canton and 9 m. N. W. of the city of Neufchattel, and 5 m. S. W. of La Chaux de Fonds, about 3,000 ft. above the sea; pop. in 1870, 10,334. The town is on the little river Bied, which a short distance below disappears in a deep chasm. As the natural outlet of this was so small as to cause frequent inundations, a tunnel about 900 ft. long was cut through the solid limestone in 1802-'6, to carry off the surplus water into the Doubs. The town was burned in 1833. It now consists of scattered houses, generally painted and neat-looking, and contains a hospital for old men and an orphan asylum. Clocks, watches, jewelry, and lace are largely manufactured here, and constitute almost the sole industry. (See Chaux de Fonds.)
See Steam Carriage.
Lodeve, a town of Languedoc, France, in the department of Herault, at the foot of the Cevennes, on the Ergue, 28 m. W. N. W. of Montpellier; pop. in 1866, 10,571. The old cathedral church contains a fine mausoleum of white marble. There are important manufactories of army clothing and of woollen stuffs. It is the birthplace of Cardinal Fleury. In the middle ages Lodeve was governed by viscounts, and afterward by sovereign bishops, who had the right of coining money till 1789.
Lodomeria, the Latin name of the principality of Vladimir in Volhynia in the middle ages. On the first division of Poland, in 1772, Austria gave the name of Galicia and Lodo-meria to its share. (See Galicia.)
Lodovico Mazzolini, an Italian painter, born in Ferrara about 1481, died there about 1530. He was a pupil of Lorenzo Costa, and in small pictures, particularly his miniature altarpieces, attained great excellence. His architectural backgrounds are especially admired. His works are not numerous.
Lodz, a town of Russian Poland, in the government of Piotrkow, on a branch of the railway from Warsaw to Vienna, 75 m. S. W. of Warsaw; pop. in 1867, 34,328, nearly all Germans. The town 50 years ago had only a few hundred inhabitants, but is now next to Warsaw the most populous of the Russian kingdom of Poland. It owes its rapid growth to its manufactories of cloth and other woollen stuffs. It is called the Polish Manchester.
Loea Marenzio, an Italian composer, bom near Brescia about 1550, died Aug. 22, 1699. His parents were poor, and he received instruction from the parish priest and the chapel-master at Brescia. His first collection of madrigals brought him into notice, and he was engaged in the service of the king of Poland.
The climate of the north being too severe for him. he returned to Italy and entered the service of Cardinal d'Este," and later of Cardinal Aldobrandiui as chapelmaster. In 1595 he was admitted to the college of precentors of the pontifical chapel. He is considered as one of the greatest composers of the 16th century, and was surnamed il piu dolce cigno, "the sweet swan."and "the divine composer." He gave himself almost wholly to the composition of madriirals for four, five, and six voices; but in these, of which he wrote a great number, he displayed an invention, grace, and skill that won for him universal admiration.