See Mino Bird.
Minatitlan, a small town of Mexico, isthmus of Tehuantepec, on the W. bank of the Coatzacoalcos, 20 m. from its mouth and 125 m. S. E. of Vera Cruz; pop. about 2,500. It has obtained some notoriety and importance from being the Atlantic point of departure in the various attempts to establish an interoceanic communication by way of the isthmus of Tehuantepec. It is also the proposed terminus of the projected railway across that isthmus on the north. The country immediately around the town is low and subject to periodical inundations. Cattle constitute the chief wealth of the people. Mahogany and other valuable woods are produced in the vicinity, and shipped at Vera Cruz.
See Philippine Islands.
See Philippine Islands.
Miner, a S. E. county of Dakota, recently formed, and not included in the census of 1870; area, 432 sq. in. It is intersected in the W. part by the Dakota river. The surface consists of gently undulating prairies.
Mineral, a N. E. county of West Virginia, separated from Maryland by the North branch of the Potomac river, and intersected by Patterson creek and other streams; area, about 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,332, of whom 378 were colored. It is crossed by several mountain ridges, between which lie picturesque and fertile valleys. The Baltimore and Ohio railroad runs along the N. and W. border. The chief productions in 1870 were 50,915 bushels of wheat, 13,257 of rye, 71,895 of Indian corn, 29,331 of oats, 8,891 of potatoes, 23,406 lbs. of wool, 52,078 of butter, and 5,104 tons of hay. There were 1,333 horses, 5,172 cattle, 6,429 sheep, and 2,563 swine. Capital, New Creek.
Mineral Point, a city and the capital of Iowa co., Wisconsin, on a branch of the Peca-tonica river, 47 m. W. S. W. of Madison, and at the terminus of the Mineral Point railroad (33 m. long), connecting it with the Illinois Central railroad at Warren, 111.; pop. in 1870, 3,275. It is in the midst of a rich mineral region, yielding lead, copper, and zinc, and contains several hotels, numerous stores, foun-deries, smelting works for lead and zinc, and breweries. There are eight public schools, including a high school, three private schools, two weekly newspapers, and five churches.
Minersville, a borough of Schuylkill co., Pennsylvania, on the W. branch of the Schuylkill river and on the Mine Hill and Schuylkill Haven railroad, 4 m. W. of Pottsville, and 46 m. N. E. of Harrisburg; pop. in 1870, 3,099. It is surrounded by hills containing rich mines of anthracite, and has a national bank, a flour mill, saw mill, iron foundery, car factory, nine public schools, with a high school, a weekly newspaper, and four churches.
Minho (Sp. Miflo; anc. Minim), a river of Spain and Portugal, which rises in the Sierra do Mondofiedo, in the province of Lugo, Gali-cia, a short distance S. of Mondofiedo, flows first S. and then S. W., crosses the province of Orense, forms the boundary between the Spanish province of Pontevedra and the Portuguese province of Minho, and falls into the Atlantic near Caminha, about 30 m. S. of Vigo. It is about 150 m. long, and is navigable for only a short distance from its mouth, being obstructed by sand banks. It abounds in salmon and lampreys. Its principal tributaries are the Sil, which joins it on the left about 70 m. from its mouth, and the Avia on the right. The largest towns on its banks are Lugo and Orense in Spain.