Prescot, a town and parish of Lancashire, England, 6 m. E. N. E. of Liverpool; pop. of the town in 1871, 5,990; of the parish (area 57 sq. m.), 80,520 (in 1861, 63,540). The parish stands on the edge of a rich and extensive coal field, and comprises several large villages. The town has long been a manufacturing place of importance. The drawing of pin wire had its origin here, and watch movements, watchmakers' tools, and coarse earthenware are manufactured. The parish church is an ancient edifice, with several monuments by Westma-cott and Chantrey. In the vicinity are cotton and flax mills, collieries, potteries, and glass works.
Prescott, an E. county of Ontario, Canada, bordering on Quebec, and bounded N. by the Ottawa river; area, 491 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 17,647, of whom 9,623 are of French, 4,055 of Irish, 2,546 of Scotch, and .1,256 of English origin or descent. It is watered by the Petite Nation and other streams. Capital, L'Original.
Prescott, a town and port of entry of Grenville co., Ontario, Canada, on the St. Lawrence river, opposite Ogdensburg, N. Y., with which it is connected by ferry, at the S. terminus of the St. Lawrence and Ottawa railway, and on the Grand Trunk railway, 220 m. E. by N. of Toronto, and 47 m. S. by E. of Ottawa; pop. in 1871, 2,617. It has about 50 stores, a branch bank, two iron founderies, three breweries, a distillery, a weekly newspaper, and four churches. The value of imports for the year ending June 30, 1874, was $281,289; of exports, $626,167.
Presho, a S. county of Dakota, recently formed and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 1,600 sq. m. It is bounded N. E. by the Missouri, and is intersected by White river and Medicine creek. The surface consists of rolling prairies.
Presidio, a S. W. county of Texas, separated from Mexico on the south by the Rio Grande; area, about 14,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,636, of whom 489 were colored. It is supposed to contain valuable minerals, but has been little explored. There is some good farming land in the valleys of the Rio Grande and other streams. ' It is better adapted to grazing, but is deficient in water. It is unorganized, and is subject to Indian incursions.
Presojje Isle, a N. E. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, bordering on Lake Huron; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 355. It is watered by several streams and lakes. The surface is undulating and the soil moderately fertile. Capital, Rogers City.
Priam, in Greek legends, the last king of Troy, son of Laomedon. In his youth he was taken prisoner by Hercules. He had previously been called Podarces, the swift-footed; but he was now bought from Hercules by his sister Hesione, and was thence called Priamus, or the ransomed. According to Homer, he had 50 sons, Hecuba alone having borne him 19; among them were Paris, Helenus, Deipho-bus, and Hector, whom he loved best, and whose corpse he succeeded in ransoming from Achilles. Among his daughters, who according to some also numbered 50, were Polyxena, Cassandra, and Creiisa. Before the Trojan war he made an expedition against the Phrygians in aid of the Amazons. At the beginning of that war he was already too old to participate in the combats, and he appears only once on the field of battle, to settle the terms of the single combat between Paris and Menelaus.
According to a later legend, he was slain at the sack of Troy by Neoptolemus, son of Achilles.