Sag Harbor, a village and port of entry in the towns of East Hampton and Southampton, Suffolk co., New York, on the S. side of Gardiner's bay, near the E. extremity of Long Island, and at the terminus of a branch of the Long Island railroad, by which it is 107 m. E. of New York; pop. in 1870, 1,723; in 1875, 2,100. It has a good harbor, and is largely engaged in the coasting trade, being the only outlet of a good farming district. The whale fishery, once extensive, is now extinct. Sag Harbor is much resorted to in summer. Two lines of steamers run to New York and one to the Connecticut river. The village contains a cotton mill, a flour mill, three cigar manufactories, a savings bank, two private banks, a union school, two weekly newspapers, and Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic churches.
Sagadahoc A S. County Of Maine, bordering on the Atlantic, and intersected by the Kennebec river; area, about 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,803. Nearly half the county is composed of small islands at the mouth of the Kennebec, and it has numerous bays and channels. The soil is fertile. The inhabitants are largely engaged in ship building, fishing, and the coasting trade. It is intersected by the Portland and Kennebec, the Bath and Rockland, and the Androscoggin railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 18,225 bushels of Indian corn, 15,-849 of oats, 21,951 of barley, 103,928 of potatoes, 25,060 tons of hay, 29,416 lbs. of wool, and 264,862 of butter. There were 1,340 horses, 3,125 milch cows, 1,668 working oxen, 2,835 other cattle, 8,151 sheep, and 1,098 swine. The county contained 37 saw mills. Capital, Bath.
Sagan, a town of Prussia, in the province of Silesia, on the Bober, 45 m. N. W. of Liegnitz; pop. in 1871, 10,433. It has a fine palace, four churches, and a Catholic gymnasium, and cloth and other manufactories. It is the capital of a mediatized principality, which in 1627 became the property of Wallenstein, in 1646 of Prince Lobkowitz, and in 1786 of Duke Peter of Courland, whose daughter Dorothea bequeathed it in 1862 to her son Prince Louis Talleyrand, duke of Sagan and of Valençay.
Sagapenum, a gum resin, of unknown botanical origin, which has been used in medicine. Its properties were known to the ancients, and it is spoken of by Hippocrates, Dioscorides, and Pliny. But at present it can scarcely be procured genuine even at Bombay, whither it is sometimes brought from Persia. It is received in agglutinated fragments of brownish and reddish yellow colors, of consistence like wax, of a garlicky odor, less disagreeable than that of asafoetida, and of a hot, nauseous, bitterish taste. It has no medicinal value.
See Huron, Lake.
Saguache, a S. county of Colorado, forming the N. extremity of San Luis park, bordered on three sides by mountains, and watered by affluents of the Gunnison and Arkansas rivers; area, about 2,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 304. The valleys are natural meadows, covered with a rich vegetation, and the table lands afford fine natural pasturage. In the S. part is a lake, 24 by 10 m., which has a regular ebb and flow. The chief productions in 1870 were 5,921 bushels of wheat, 5,527 of oats, 1,061 of potatoes, 6,800 lbs. of wool, 6,250 of butter, and 174 tons of hay. There were 129 horses, 2,052 milch cows, 1,751 other cattle, and 3,100 sheep. Capital, Saguache.