Sainte Genevieve, an E. S. E. county of Missouri, bounded N. E. by the Mississippi river, and drained by Rivière aux Vases, Isle au Bois, Saline, and Establishment creeks; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,384, of whom 431 were colored. The surface is broken and hilly. There are quarries of marble, and valuable mines of lead and copper. The chief productions in 1870 were 155,228 bushels of wheat, 180,350 of Indian corn, 78,-197 of oats, 5,970 lbs. of tobacco, and 10,327 of wool. There were 1,967 horses, 1,805 milch cows, 3,632 other cattle, 4,997 sheep, and 11,-066 swine. Capital, Ste. Genevieve.
See LÉrins Islands.
Saintine, the pseudonyme of Joseph Xavier Boniface, a French author, born in Paris, July 10, 1798, died there, Jan. 21, 1865. He early won academical prizes for his poetry, and in 1837 the Montyon prize of 3,000 francs for his story of Picciola (37th ed., revised, 1861), which has been translated into many languages. He published many other stories, novels, and miscellaneous works, and (under the name of Xavier) hundreds of plays, the last in conjunction with other dramatists. Mrs. Wood (Anne T. Wilbur) published "The Solitary of Juan Fernandez, or the real Robinson Crusoe" (Boston, 1851), a translation of Sain-tine's Seul and "The Queen of the Danube" (1859), from his Trois reines, chronique du XVe siècle; and Schele de Vere a translation of his Mythes du Rhin (London, 1874), with illustrations by Doré.
See Argentine Republic, vol. i., p. 688.
Salee, Or Sla Sale, a walled town of Morocco, on the Atlantic coast, in lat. 34° 4' N., lon. 6° 45' W., at the mouth of the river Bu Re-greg, on its N. bank, opposite Rabat; pop. about 10,000, chiefly descended from Spanish Mohammedans. One half the area enclosed by the walls is now unoccupied. Carpets and combs of lentisk wood are manufactured; the exports consist principally of wool. The harbor will admit only brigs and schooners. Sale was a resort of pirates in the latter part of the 18th century, when it was substantially independent of Morocco. In 1851 it was bombarded and nearly destroyed by the French.
Salem, a S. W. county of New Jersey, bordered W. by the Delaware river, drained by Salem, Alloway's, and other creeks, and traversed by several railroads; area, 540 sq.m.; pop. in 1870, 23,940. The surface is level and the soil a fertile sandy loam. Marl abounds, and iron ore is found. The chief productions in 1870 were 259,777 bushels of wheat, 756,342 of Indian corn, 164,678 of oats, 350,955 of Irish and 220,574 of sweet potatoes, 67,496 of grass seed, 39,454 tons of hay, 11,658 lbs. of wool, and 373,849 of butter. There were 5,155 horses, 630 mules and asses, 7,352 milch cows, 9,946 other cattle, 6,668 sheep, and 9,836 swine; 5 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 3 of window glass, 4 of machinery, 2 of paper, 10 of saddlery and harness, 3 founderies, 5 brick yards, 4 tanneries, 14 flour mills, and 19 saw mills. Capital, Salem.