Spezzia, Or Spetzia (anc. Tiparenos), an island of Greece, in the archipelago, at the E. entrance of the gulf of Nauplia, and about 2 m. from the coast of Argolis; greatest length 5 m., greatest breadth 3 m.; pop. in 1870, 8,443. It is rocky, but has some fertile patches, which are carefully cultivated. In the war of independence the islanders distinguished themselves in naval engagements with the Turks. The chief place, of the same name, is a pleasant town on the E. shore, with a good harbor; pop. about 3,000. It is a resort for invalids on account of the climate.
See Hawk Moth.
See Fever Bush.
See Nervous System.
See Cotton Manufacture, Linen, Rope, and "Wool, Manufactures of.
See Air Vessels.
Spiridion Tricoupis, a Greek historian, born in Missolonghi in 1791, died in Athens, Feb. 24, 1873. He held important offices at Athens after the Greek revolution, which he had promoted, and was minister at London at various periods, lastly from 1850 till King Otho's downfall in 1862. He was a friend of Lord Byron, on whose death he pronounced one of his most celebrated orations. His chief work is 'Іστορία τής 'Еλληνικής 'Еπαναστάσεωως ("History of the Greek Revolution," 4 vols., London, 1853-'7; 2d ed., 1862).
See Hydeochloeic Acid.
Sporades (Gr., the scattered), the lesser islands of the Grecian archipelago surrounding the group of the Cyclades, divided into the northern, western, and eastern Sporades. The northern group includes the islands of Ski-atho (in antiquity Sciathus), Scopelos, Khili-dromi (probably Icus), and Skyros; these lie off the N. E. coast of Negropont or Eubcea, and belong to the kingdom of Greece. The western group, which also belongs to Greece, lies off the E. coast of Argolis, and includes Hydra (Hydrea), Spezzia (Tiparenos), Poros (Galauria), AEgina, and Kuluri (Salamis). The eastern group belongs to Turkey, and lies off the S. W. coast of Asia Minor; it includes Psara or Ipsara (Psyra), Scio (Chios), Samos, Nikaria (Icarus or Icaria), Patmos, Leros, Ca-lymno (Calymna), Stanko (Cos), Stampalia or Astropalia (Astypalaea), and Scarpanto (Carpa-thus). The Sporades of the ancients included only the eastern group, and this with the exception of the northernmost islands.
See Fevers, vol. vii., p. 168.
Spottsylvania, an E. county of Virginia, bounded N. E. by the Rappahannock and S. W. by the North Anna river, and drained by the Mattapony; area, about 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,728, of whom 4,659 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. Granite and freestone are abundant. It is intersected by the Rappahannock canal and the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 50,050 bushels of wheat, 104,210 of Indian corn, 50,832 of oats, 132,502 lbs. of tobacco, 4,527 of wool, and 30,678 of butter. There were 906 horses, 1,388 milch cows, 1,684 other cattle, 1,928 sheep, and 3,662 swine. Capital, Spottsvlvania Court House.