Stirlingshire, a central county of Scotland, bordering on the counties of Perth, Clackmannan, Linlithgow, Lanark, and Dumbarton; area, 466 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 98,218. The chief rivers are the Forth, Avon, Kelvin, En-drick, and Carron. Loch Coulter, Loch Elrigg, and half of Loch Lomond are in the county. Ben Lomond, in the N. W. part, rises 3,192 ft. above the sea. Coal and iron are mined; wool and cotton are manufactured; and there are immense iron works at Carron. The principal towns are Stirling, Falkirk, Alva, Bannock-burn, and Denny.
Stockbridge, a town of Berkshire co., Massachusetts, on the Housatonic river and railroad, 115 m. in direct line W. of Boston, and 12 m. S. by W. of Pittsfield; pop. in 1870, 2,003; in 1875, 2,089. The surface of the town is varied; in the south is Monument mountain, separating it from Great Barrington, in the west West Stockbridge mountain, in the southeast the Beartown mountains, and in the northwest Rattlesnake mountain. Between these are valleys of great beauty. The Housatonic and its affluents drain the town. The Stockbridge or Housatonic Indians, among whom John Sergeant and Jonathan Edwards labored as missionaries, formerly had their home here, but removed westward in 1788. The villages of Glendale and Curtisville have some manufactures. The village of Stock-bridge has a hotel, a bank, an insurance office, an incorporated academy, several private schools, a library, and three churches (Congregational, Episcopal, and Roman Catholic).
Stockport, a town of Cheshire, England, at the junction of the Mersey and the Thame, 5 m. S. E. of Manchester; pop. in 1871, 53,-014. It stands upon a hill, and the houses rise above each other in irregular tiers. The Mersey is crossed by five bridges, and there are several suburbs, the most extensive of which are Heaton-Norris, Edgeley, and Portwood. The principal public buildings are the barracks, court house, union workhouse, and the building for the Sunday school, which is attended by nearly 4,000 children. A magnificent railway viaduct of 26 arches spans a portion of the town as well as the river Mersey. The former extensive manufacture of silk has been supplanted by that of cotton, for the spinning and weaving of which there are in the town and suburbs about 100 factories. There are also establishments for bleaching, dyeing;, and printing cotton, brass and iron founderies, etc. Rich coal mines are worked in the vicinity.
Stockton-Upon-Tees, a town of Durham, England, on the left bank of the Tees, 10 m. from its mouth in the North sea, and 220 m. N. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 27,598. The river is crossed by a fine bridge. The principal public buildings are the custom house, town hall, borough hall, mechanics' institute, and theatre. It is an important railway centre, and several branch lines bring in the produce of the numerous coal and lead mines in the vicinity. It has considerable commerce, and vessels of 300 tons can come up to the quays. The manufactures comprise sail cloth, rope, linen and worsted yarns, and iron and brass work, and there are ship yards, breweries, brick kilns, and corn mills. - Stockton was early a place of importance, and was the residence of the bishops of Durham. In 1325 it was ravaged by the Scots. In 1644 it was taken by the Scottish army, and in 1652 the castle was demolished.