Camden, the name of four counties in the United States. I. A S. W. county of New Jersey, separated from Pennsylvania by the Delaware river; area, 220 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 46,193. The surface is generally level, the soil of the E. part sandy, and that of the W. a rich loam, yielding quantities of fruit and vegetables for the Philadelphia markets. It is traversed by the Camden and Amboy, Camden and Atlantic, Camden and Burlington County, West Jersey and Vineland railroads, and a branch of the New Jersey Southern railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 85,284 bushels of wheat, 27,036 of rye, 320,774 of Indian corn, 376,369 of Irish and 113,523 of sweet potatoes, 16,389 tons of hay, and 206,775 lbs. of butter. There were 2,838 horses, 4,555 milch cows, 1,174 other cattle, 990 sheep, and 6,875 swine. Capital, Camden. II. A N. E. county of North Carolina, bounded N. by Virginia, S. and S. W. by Albemarle sound and Pasquotank river; area, 280 sq. m., part of which is occupied by the Dismal Swamp; pop. in 1870, 5,361, of whom 2,121 were colored. It has a level surface and a fertile soil. . Valuable forests of cedar and cypress exist, and the exportation of the timber and other products is facilitated by the Dismal Swamp canal, 22 m. long.

The chief productions in 1870 were 2,823 bushels of wheat, 329,660 of Indian corn, 10,430 of oats, 24,655 of sweet potatoes, and 58 bales of cotton. There were 576 horses, 828 milch cows, 1,496 other cattle, 1,075 sheep, and 7,300 swine. Capital, Camden Court House. III. A S. E. county of Georgia, bordering on Florida and the Atlantic, bounded S. by St. Mary's river, W. partly by the Santilla, and N. by the Little Santilla; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,615, of whom 3,157 were colored. It includes Cumberland island in the Atlantic, 18 m. long, 2 or 3 m. wide, and separated from the mainland by a narrow channel. The surface is level and the soil sandy. The chief productions in 1870 were 28,552 bushels of Indian corn, 19,187 of sweet potatoes, 145 bales of cotton, and 2,877,020 lbs. of rice. There were 226 horses, 2,073 milch cows, 4,682 other cattle, and 3,585 swine. Capital, Jeftersonton. IV. A central county of Missouri, drained by the Osage and several other rivers; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,108, of whom 149 were colored. The surface is undulating, and the soil tolerably fertile. Lead mines are worked near Osage river, which is navigable during a short time every year. The Atlantic and Pacific railroad touches the S. E. border.

The chief productions in 1870 were 43,010 bushels of wheat, 181,288 of Indian corn, 23,415 of oats, and 25,507 lbs. of tobacco. There were 2,030 horses, 1,544 milch cows, 2,935 other cattle, 6,874 sheep, and 9,916 swine. Capital, Linn Creek.

Camden #1

Camden, a S. E. county of New South Wales, Australia, bounded E. by the Pacific, N. and W. by the Wollondilly river, and S. by the Shoalhaven river; area, 2,200 sq. m.; pop. in 1866, 22,734, since when it has largely increased. The soil is well watered and fertile, and it is the largest grain-producing county in the colony. It contains the cow pastures, so called from large herds of cattle found there which sprung from a few animals that escaped from the settlement soon after the foundation of the colony. Near Wollon-gong are the celebrated Fitzroy iron mines. Capital, Berrima.