I. A N. County Of Florida, bordering on Georgia, and bounded W. by Ocklo-conee river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,236, of whom 12,341 were colored. It has an undulating surface and productive soil. It is traversed by the Jacksonville, Pensacola, and Mobile railroad and its branch to St. Marks. The chief productions in 1870 were 258,432 bushels of Indian corn. 34,035 of sweet potatoes, 6,518 bales of cotton, 43 hogsheads of sugar, and 27,099 gallons of molasses. There were 427 horses, 1,296 mules and asses, 1,025 milch cows, 3,919 other cattle, and 0,299 swine; 3 saw mills, and 1 railroad repair shop. Capital, Tallahassee, which is also the capital of the state.
II. An E. Central County Of Texas, bounded E. by Trinity river, and W. by the Navasoto; area, 1,100 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,523, of whom 2,708 were colored. The soil on the uplands is a sandy loam, and in the bottoms a rich black loam. The chief productions in 1870 were 160,906 bushels of Indian corn, 24,505 of sweet potatoes, 44,998 lbs. of butter, and 4,897 bales of cotton. There were 2,405 horses, 5,203 milch cows, 1,414 working oxen, 18,041 other cattle, 1,116 sheep, and 19,512 swine. Capital Leona.
I. A Former Kingdom Of Spain, now mainly divided into the provinces of Leon, Zamora, and Salamanca (area, 15,240 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 881,940), bounded N. by Asturias, E. by Old Castile, S. by Estremadura, and W. by Portugal and Galicia. The principal rivers are the Douro and its tributaries, but a small portion of the N. W. part is drained by affluents of the Minho. The climate is mild in spring, hot in summer, and excessively cold in winter. Leon was anciently a part of the Roman province of Hispania Tarraconensis. After the destruction of the Gothic monarchy by the Arabs in the beginning of the 8th century the foundations of the kingdom of Leon were laid by Pelayo and Alfonso I. of Asturia, but Ordono II. (913-'23) was the first to assume the title of king. In the 11th century it was united to Old Castile, and after a short separation reunited in the 13th. (See Spain.) II. A province of Spain, comprising the N. part of the ancient kingdom, bordering on the provinces of Oviedo, Palencia, Vallad olid, Zamora, Orense, and Lugo; area, 6,166 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 350,092. The N. and W. parts are rugged and mountainous, but in the E. are wide undulating plains, well adapted for agriculture, where wheat, maize, hemp, and flax are produced abundantly, and the vine is successfully cultivated.
Iron, lead, antimony, coal, and marble are found in the mountains, but iron only is mined to any extent. There are few manufactures and little trade. The principal towns are Leon, the capital, Astorga, and Almansa.
III. A City, capital of the province, at the junction of the Torio with the Bernesga, 180 m. N. N. W. of Madrid; pop. about 10,000. It is built on the slope of a hill, which is crowned by the cathedral of Santa Maria de Regla, a noble Gothic edifice, originally founded in the 12th century. The town is surrounded by an octagonal wall, with 11 gates. The streets are generally narrow and irregular, but a few of them are handsome, and there are several public squares ornamented with fountains. Among the noteworthy public buildings are the church of San Isidoro, the convent of San Marcos de Leon, the town house, court house, episcopal palace, palace of the civil governor, and several hospitals. The manufactures are linen goods, leather, hats, and earthenware. Leon was founded by the Romans, who called it Le-gio, from the seventh legion, quartered there in the time of Augustus.
Leon, a city of Mexico, in the state of Guanajuato, capital of a district of the same name, on the right bank of the Rio Torbio, 100 m. N. W. of Mexico; pop. about 100,000 (second only to that of the capital). It stands in a fertile valley about 6,000 ft. above the sea, has good streets, and is generally well built. In the principal square, little inferior to any other in the republic, stand the old governor's palace, the handsome parish church, and a picturesque arcade with numerous fine shops. There are several other churches, three convents, a hospital, and a Latin and several primary schools. This city, one of the most nourishing and industrious in Mexico, has an extensive commerce in wheat and other grains. Some cotton and woollen stuffs are manufactured, but the chief industry is tanning. - Leon was founded in 1576, and made a city in 1836; but its commercial importance does not date beyond 1855, about which time it became the chief entrepot of the fertile region of the Bajio.
Leon, a city of Nicaragua, in the plain and capital of the department of the same name, 53 m. N. W. of Managua; pop. about 25,000. The streets are good, and some are paved and lighted; the houses are mostly of one story; the public edifices are numerous and spacious, but not remarkably handsome. The cathedral, from the tower of which are visible the 13 volcanoes of the Sierra de los Marrabios, though occupying an entire block, is less imposing than the churches of Calvary and La Merced; besides these there are 12 other churches. In the principal square are the old and new episcopal palaces, the old government house, university, and barracks. The antique convents of La Merced and La Recoleccion are converted into public offices, and a third into a hospital. A ravine, separating Guadalupe from the city proper, is crossed by a grand bridge, and other bridges were to be completed in 1874. In the surrounding country, which is very picturesque, mineral and thermal springs abound; and good roads lead from the city in every direction.
Some dressed leather and cutlery are manufactured, and a few articles are exported through the port of Corinto on the Pacific. - Leon was founded in 1523 by Francisco F. de Cordoba, on the W. shore of Lake Managua; but a series of calamities necessitated its transfer in 1610 to its present site, adjoining the ancient Indian village Subtiaba, which, with 6,000 inhabitants, and forming a distinct municipality, is separated from it by a single street. In 1823, 1,000 houses were burned in one night. The ruins of Old Leon are still visible.