Miami, a river of Ohio, which rises in Hardin co., flows S. and S. W. for a distance estimated at 150 m., passing Troy, Dayton, and Hamilton, and falls into the Ohio river at the S. W. corner of the state, 20 m. W. of Cincin-' nati. It passes through a picturesque and fertile country, is rapid, and admits of navigation for only a portion of its length. Its principal branches are the West branch and the Mad and Whitewater rivers. The Miami canal runs along the river for about 70 m., and together they furnish extensive power for manufacturing. - This river is sometimes called the Great Miami, in distinction from the Little Miami, which rises in Clark co., and after flowing S. W. 100 m., nearly parallel with the former, falls into the Ohio 6 m. E. of Cincinnati.
A W. County Of Ohio, intersected by the Miami river and drained by its branches; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 32,740. The surface in the E. part is rolling, in the W. more level, and the soil is very fertile. It is intersected by the Miami and Erie canal, and by the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis and the Dayton and Michigan railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 858,886 bushels of wheat, 1,293,096 of Indian corn, 379,415 of oats, 71,804 of barley, 82,521 of potatoes, 40,221 of flax seed, 206,704 lbs. of flax, 71,529 of tobacco, 55,181 of wool, 489,132 of butter, and 11,531 tons cf hay. There were 8,126 horses, 6,208 milch cows, 7,796 other cattle, 16,127 sheep, and 19,414 swine; 1 manufactory of agricultural implements, 11 of brick, 18 of carriages and wagons, 6 of lime, 2 of Aiachinery, 9 of marble and stone work, 3 of linseed oil, 5 of sash, doors, and blinds, 3 of woollen goods, 3 iron founder-ies, 18 flour mills, 8 saw mills, 5 tanneries, 4 distilleries, and 4 breweries. Capital, Troy.
A N. County Of Indiana, intersected by the Wabash and Eel rivers; area, 384 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,052. It has a generally level surface, with elevations near the streams, and a fertile soil. It is intersected by the Toledo, Wabash, and Western, and several other railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 484,817 bushels of wheat, 417,930 of Indian corn, 100,757 of oats, 61,687 of potatoes, 66,-643 lbs. of wool, 372,457 of butter, and 17,-560 tons of hay. There were 6,509 horses, 5,111 milch cows, 7,156 other cattle, 20,706 sheep, and 20,794 swine; 5 manufactories of agricultural implements, 18 of carriages, 5 of saddlery and harness, 3 of cigars, 2 of woollen goods, 2 iron founderies, 33 saw mills, 9 flour mills, and 1 brewery. Capital, Peru.
An E. County Of Kansas, bordering on Missouri, and intersected by Osage river; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,725. It is traversed by the Missouri river, Fort Scott, and Gulf railroad, and by the Osage division of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas line. The surface is undulating and the soil productive. The greater portion of the county is prairie, but there is considerable woodland. The chief productions in 1870 were 54,596 bushels of wheat, 764,145 of Indian corn, 268,500 of oats, 71,-242 of potatoes, 11,243 lbs. of wool, 240,323 of butter, and 14,147 tons of hay. There were 4,913 horses, 4,774 milch cows, 7,385 other cattle, 3,929 sheep, 7,756 swine, and 8 saw mills. Capital, Paola.
Miamis, an Indian tribe of the Algonquin family. They comprised the Ouiatenon or Wea, Peanguichia or Piankeshaw, Pepikokia, Kilatak, and other bands. They were found by the French in 1658 near Green bay, and in 1670 Allouez found a large village at the head of Fox river, under Tetenchoua, a chief who had a body guard and was treated with a respect unusual in the northern tribes. They then numbered 8,000 warriors, according to some accounts, lived in mat houses within a palisade, and were brave, civil, and well disposed. A large body soon after congregated on the St. Joseph's river. In 1683 they and their kindred the Illinois were attacked by the Iroquois; they maintained the war vigorously, although at the same time fighting the Sioux on the west. The presence of some French traders among the Sioux in 1686 brought them into collision with the French, and they nearly burned Nicolas Perrot at the stake. They sent a detachment to swell Denonville's armv, but began then to be very restless, joined the Iroquois against the Hurons, menaced the Chip-pewas, and opened intercourse with the English. Their losses in war were heavy; a whole village was carried off by the Sioux in 1700. In 1705, trouble having arisen between the Miamis and the Ottawas at Detroit, the former attacked the latter, and a general engagement ensued, the French officers having precipitated the war.
Cadillac finally marched against the Miamis in 1707, but made a hollow peace which increased their insolence. They had at this time retired temporarily from Chicjigo and from the St. Joseph's river. In 1721 the Miamis were on the St. Joseph's and the Miami, and the Wea band on the Wabash or Ohio. When the final struggle between England and France approached, they wavered; they attacked the Senecas, but met the English colonists at Lancaster, plundered the French posts, and allowed an English fort to be erected on their lands. In 1751 the French attacked them, killing several English and Indians. After the fall of the French power they prevented the English troops from crossing their country, but finally made peace, though they joined Pontiac and captured the British forts Miami and St. Joseph's. During the revolution they sided with England; but when Clarke reduced Illinois and took Hamilton prisoner, and their own towns were ravaged, they made peace. A hostile feeling remained against the advancing settlements. Hostilities prevailed for several years, and finally Gen.Harmar was sent against them in 1790. At this time they could put in the field 1,500 warriors. Led by Mishekone-quoh or Little Turtle, they defeated Col. Hardin, Oct. 19, and again at the Maumee on the 21 st.
The next year the towns of the Weas, who wore rapidly becoming civilized, were destroyed by Gen. Scott, but the main army under Gen. St, Clair was utterly routed by Little Turtle. Nov. 4. 1791, with the loss of 39 officers and 593 men killed. A treaty was made the next year by Rufus Putnam, but the senate refused to confirm it. The Miamis continued the war; but having been disastrously defeated by Wayne under the guns of an English fort at Maumee rapids, Aug. 20, 1794, they made peace at Greenville in 179."). After that they rapidly declined. By a series of treaties between that date and 1809 they ceded lands extending from the Wabash to the Ohio state line, and the annuities proved fatal, introducing intoxication, indolence, and violence. When Tecum-seh began his movement the Miamis refused to join it: but as the war with England went on, the tribe was gradually drawn in, and at last refused to attend the Americans in council. Gen. Harrison sent Lieut, Col. Campbell against them, and though, following their usual tactics, they assailed his line, he finally defeated them. The Miamis then sued for peace, and a treaty was made Sept. 8, 1815. War had broken up the progress they had made, and drunkenness a_rain prevailed, leading to fights in which nearly 500 perished in 18 years.
In 1822 they numbered between 2,000 and 3,000, on three reservation-, and the Baptists were making an effort to save them. The Wea and Piankeshaw bands, numbering 384, were removed in 1834-'5 to a reservation of 160,000 acres on the south side of Kansas river, and in 1838 the Miamis, then 1,100 in number, sold to government 177,000 acres in Indiana for $335,680, still retaining a large tract. By the treaties of 1838 and 1840 they ceded all, and in 1846 were removed to the Marais des Cygnes in the Fort Leavemvorth agency. They had dwindled to a wretched dissipated band of 250; each individual received an annuity of about $125. Their decline continued, the civil war in Kansas exposing them to encroachments of every kind. A few Miamis and some of the Weas, under the influence of Baptiste Peoria, reformed and mad.- Borne progress; but when the remnants were removed to the Quapaw reservation about 1873, they did not number more than 150.