Motril, a town of Spain, in the province and 3G m. S. by E. of the city of Granada; pop. about 13,000. The streets are in a bad condition. The principal square contains the collegiate church and the town house. Among the other public buildings are chapels which formerly belonged to convents and a handsome church connected with a nunnery. The Mediterranean having receded about a mile, the port has been removed to Calahonda, 7 m. E. of the town, and to the roads of Baradero. The principal imports are rice, sugar, coal, and wine, and the exports comprise fruit, oil, wine, and lead. Fish and fruit are especially plentiful. There are many potteries and several sugar and other manufactories.
Moulins, Or Mouiins-Snr-Allier, a town of France, capital of the department of Allier, on the river Allier, 102 m. S. S. E. of Paris; pop. in 1866, 19,890. It is the seat of a bishop, and has many educational establishments and learned societies. Among the principal buildings are the cathedral of Notre Dame (which was founded in 1468 as a collegiate church, and was completed in 1861), the college, museum, hotel de ville, public library, barracks, and hospital. Hardware and cutlery, silk and cotton hosiery, woollen and cotton goods, articles in ivory, and catgut are manufactured; and it has a trade in iron, wood, leather, charcoal, coal, wine, oil, salt, and cattle. Moulins was formerly the capital of Bourbonnais, and the dukes of Bourbon kept their court there with great splendor. But a single tower now remains of their once famous castle.
Moultrie, a central county of Illinois, drained by the Kaskaskia river and its branches; area, 320 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,385. It has a level or undulating surface and a fertile soil. The Terre Haute, Paris, and Decatur, the Chicago and Paducah, and the Chicago and Illinois Southern railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 213,564 bushels of wheat, 1,753,141 of Indian corn, 263,992 of oats, 59,263 of potatoes, 21,010 lbs. of tobacco, 56,679 of wool, 247,264 of butter, and 9,214 tons of hay. There were 6,274 horses, 3,254 milch cows, 6,695 other cattle, 20,531 sheep, and 2,300 swine. Capital, Sullivan.
See Brush Turkey.
Mount (Russ Avatcha. Avatchinskaya Sop-Ica), a volcano in Kamtchatka, near the S. E. coast, in lat. 53° 15' N. and lon. 158° 50' E., rising to an elevation of nearly 9,000 ft. It has a crater at its summit several hundred yards in circumference, and another on its side at an elevation of 5,000 ft. Among the last recorded eruptions are those of 1837 and 1855, when it discharged with great violence vast quantities of lava, stones, and water. S. of the mountain is the bay of Avatcha, on which lies the town of Petropavlovsk.