Dieppe (De-epp', or Dyepp'), a seaport in the French dep. of Seine-Inferieure, on the English Channel, 40 miles N. of Rouen by rail. It is situated among chalk-cliffs, at the mouth of the river Arques, and is regularly built. It has a castle (1433, now occupied as barracks), a fine Gothic church of the 13th century, a handsome bathing establishment and casino, and a harbour which admits vessels of 600 tons. It manufactures clocks, lace, and tobacco; and its carved articles of horn, bone, and ivory have long been famous. There are also shipbuilding yards, distilleries, and important fisheries. Dieppe's prosperity attained its zenith between the middle of the 14th century and the end of the 17th; many expeditions sailed hence for the west coast of Africa and Canada. But a terrible bombardment by the English and Dutch destroyed all but two or three buildings in 1694; the town never recovered its importance, and even before the rise of Havre had already sunk to a secondary port. Nevertheless, steamers ply regularly to Newhaven. Pop. 23,250.