Savan'nah, a river which forms the boundary between Georgia and South Carolina, rises near the North Carolina frontier, and flows 450 miles SSE. to the Atlantic. It is navigable from November to June for large vessels to Savannah, for steamboats of 150 tons to Augusta.
Savannah, a city and port of Georgia, capital of Chatham county, stretches along the south bank of the Savannah River, 18 miles from its mouth, and 115 by rail SW. of Charleston. It is built on a sandy plain, 40 feet above the river, with broad streets shaded by beautiful trees. The dozens of parks are a delightful feature of the place; and almost in the centre of the city is Forsyth Place (30 acres), thickly planted with forest pines. Here is a monument to the Confederate dead; and others in the city commemorate General Nathaniel Greene and Count Pulaski, who fell here. The chief edifices are the customhouse, city exchange, cotton exchange, courthouse, Hodgson Hall, the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, a Roman Catholic cathedral, the Independent Presbyterian Church, Christ Church, on the site of the chapel where John Wesley first ministered to the colonists, and the hospitals and asylums. Savannah has long been the first naval stores station and the second port of the United States in respect of the quantity of cotton exported. Other articles of export are spirits of turpentine, resin, lumber, rice, and cotton-seed. The imports include fertilisers, brimstone, fruit, cotton ties, and salt. The industrial works comprise rice-mills, foundries, planing-mills, flour, cotton, and paper mills, cotton-presses, packing-houses, ice and furniture factories, etc. The city was founded in 1733, and incorporated in 1789. It was taken by the British in 1778, and by General Sherman in December 1864, the harbour having been closed to commerce by the Federal fleet from 1861. Pop. (1880) 30,709; (1900) 54,244.