Sherborne (A.S., ' clear brook'), a pleasant old-fashioned town of Dorsetshire, in the Vale of Blackmore, on a gentle southern hill-slope above the Yeo, 17 miles N. by W. of Dorchester and 5 E. of Yeovil. In 705 Ina, King of Wessex, made it the seat of a bishopric, with St Aldhelm for first bishop, whose twenty-fifth successor in 1075 transferred the see to Sarum. The noble cruciform minster, measuring 207 by 102 feet, with a tower 114 feet high, was the church of a great Benedictine abbey, founded by Bishop Roger in the first half of the 12th century. It was converted from Norman to Perpendicular after a great fire in 1436, and was restored in 1848-58 at a cost of over 32,000. Noteworthy are the clerestory, vaulting, and choir; and in the retrochoir are the graves of Asser and two of King Alfred's brothers. King Edward's School, comprising remains of the abbey buildings, was founded in 1550, and reorganised in 1871, since when it has risen to be one of the great public schools of England, with a yearly endowment of 800 and 300 boys. Among former pupils may be named Dr J. M. Neale and Mr Lewis Morris. Sherborne Castle is an Elizabethan mansion, built in 1594 by Raleigh in the grounds of Bishop Roger's Norman castle (c. 1125), which, taken by Fairfax in 1645, is now a ruin. Sherborne has also a literary institute (1859), Bishop Neville's 15th-century hospital, and the Yeatman memorial hospital (1863), with some manufactures of lace, buttons, and silk. Pop. (1851) 4878; (1901) 5753. See Horne's Sherborne Register (1893).