Juan Diaz De Solis. See Solis.
Juan Fernandez Navarrete, surnamed el Mudo (the Mute), a Spanish artist, born in Logrono in 1526, died about 1575. He became deaf and dumb in his infancy, studied painting in the monastery of the Hieronymites at Estrella, and afterward in Italy, and was a pupil of Titian. He devoted himself to sacred subjects, and nearly all his works are in the Escurial.
Juan Ginez De Sepulveda, a Spanish historian, born at Pozoblanco, near Cordova,. in 1490, died in 1574. He assisted Cardinal Ca-jetan at Naples in the revision of the Greek Testament, in 1529 went to Rome, and in 1536 was appointed chaplain and historiographer to Charles V. He wrote a work justifying the wars and acts of the Spaniards in America, which was never printed. He also wrote histories of Charles V. and Philip II. (whose education he had superintended), and a narrative of the Spanish conquests in Mexico. His works have been published by the royal academy of history at Madrid (4 vols. 4to, 1780).
See Argentine Republic, vol. i., p. 693.
Juanes, Or Joanes, Vicente, a Spanish painter, born at Fuente la Higuera, Valencia, in 1523, died at Bocairent, near Alicante, Dec. 21, 1579. He studied in Italy, and devoted himself to religious subjects, his piety leading him to partake of the communion as a preparation for each new painting. His studio at Valencia became a nucleus of art, and he was one of the most renowned Spanish painters of his day. The churches and convents of Valencia and other parts of Spain abound with his works. His masterpieces are the " Baptism of Christ" in the cathedral of Valencia, and six pictures of the life of St. Stephen in the royal palace of Madrid. The finest of his works in the Louvre is the " Holy Supper."
Jubbulpore, a town of India, in the British territory of Saugor and Nerbudda, at the base of a rocky hill, near the Nerbudda river, 200 m. S. W. of Allahabad, and capital of a district of 6,237 sq. m., with about 500,000 inhabitants. The population of the town is not stated, but it has acquired importance as a station on the East Indian railway. It is a large and flourishing place, with a renowned school of industry, established in 1850 in place of the former college. In the vicinity are many remarkable geological formations, and a number of lakes and tanks, which in the rainy season are so swollen as to make the place inaccessible, and to strengthen its strategical position. A small English force defeated here, Dec. 19, 1817, 5,000 Mahratta troops of the rajah of Nagpore. The town has an English garrison and a political agent subordinate to the authorities of Saugor.
"See Hebrews, vol. viii., p. 592.
Judea, Or Jndaea, a name variously used in ancient geography to designate the whole of Palestine or the land of the Jews, especially during the period between the Babylonish captivity and the last wars of the Jews; the southern kingdom of the Hebrews, or that of Judah, in contradistinction to that of the ten tribes of Israel; or the southern division of Palestine W. of the Jordan in the time of the Asmoneans and Romans, between Samaria on the north, the Jordan and the Dead sea on the east, Idumaea and the desert on the south, Egypt on the southwest, and the Mediterranean on the west. The limits of Judea in each of these acceptations were continually varying. (See Palestine, and Hebrews.)